The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Can Caecillians be kept in NH?

This is a discussion on Can Caecillians be kept in NH? within the Gymnophiona: Caecilians forums, part of the Other Amphibians category; If so, how much do they usually cost and where can I buy one?...

Gymnophiona: Caecilians For the discussion of Caecilians (also known as "Eels").

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ozarkhellbender
  • 1 Post By FrogEyes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 28
Rep: EasternNewtLove has shown reliable knowledge
Default Can Caecillians be kept in NH?

If so, how much do they usually cost and where can I buy one?

EasternNewtLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Can Caecillians be kept in NH?

Yes, between $40-$80, and good luck! They appear for a limited time sporadically during spring and early summer.

Last edited by Jennewt; 17th September 2011 at 15:34. Reason: commercial links
ozarkhellbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 28
Rep: EasternNewtLove has shown reliable knowledge

I'll have to keep my eye out for them then they are interesting little amphibians I didn't even know they existed until a little while ago though XD Do any species have arms or legs or are they all limbless?

EasternNewtLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

A couple of things to keep in mind. First, what is offered is almost always wild-caught imports. And as I understand it, all caecilians are protected from collection and sale in the countries where they exist in the wild. Thus, all of them that come to market in the US got here in violation of the laws in the countries where they came from, usually because they are exported/imported as "rubber eels" and are passed off as fish. They are "legal" to sell in the US once they are here, so this is really a moral issue for you, not a legal one.

Regarding the laws in NH, you should really investigate this yourself. If you cannot find the regulations online, call your state fish and game office and ask about any and all rules relevant to keeping amphibians. You need to know, not just for caecilians, but for any other amphibians you may ever be interested in acquiring. It's important to be familiar with your state laws.

We don't allow commercial links in posts, unless absolutely necessary. So I edited Thomas's post.

Old 17th September 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Can caecilians be kept in NH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
We don't allow commercial links in posts, unless absolutely necessary. So I edited Thomas's post.
Oh, sorry Jen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternNewtLove View Post
Do any species have arms or legs or are they all limbless?
They are all limbless.

Quote:
Regarding the laws in NH, you should really investigate this yourself. If you cannot find the regulations online, call your state fish and game office and ask about any and all rules relevant to keeping amphibians. You need to know, not just for caecilians, but for any other amphibians you may ever be interested in acquiring. It's important to be familiar with your state laws.
Yes, please investigate this yourself. I don't believe they are illegal in NH, but I am certainly not infallible, so please investigate that yourself.

Last edited by Azhael; 17th September 2011 at 19:06.
ozarkhellbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
And as I understand it, all caecilians are protected from collection and sale in the countries where they exist in the wild. Thus, all of them that come to market in the US got here in violation of the laws in the countries where they came from, usually because they are exported/imported as "rubber eels" and are passed off as fish.
I doubt this. Caecilians exist in many countries which export amphibians. Most of the caecilians I have seen for sale have been Dermophis, Herpele, Boulengerula, and Geotrypetes, all of which exist in exporting countries. I haven't had Ichthyophis in some time, but they too could be in the market legally. I suspect that you're thinking solely of Typhlonectes, which USED to be commonly sold, though much less often that I've seen of late.
Quote:
They are "legal" to sell in the US once they are here, so this is really a moral issue for you, not a legal one.
Of course, in violation of foreign law, any "legal" animals would be in violation of the Lacey Act in the USA or WAPPRIITA in Canada.

No living caecilian is known to have limbs, but fossil species from Arizona DID have legs.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack