Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hydrogen Peroxide

M

mark

Does anyone know what strength solution is best for disinfecting wounds on salamanders? I have Hydrogen peroxide 9% solution on which it states to dilute with equal amounts of water for human use. It should probably be weaker for amphibians - anyone know how weak?

P

paris

when i used it to clean out a septic wound on a frog i was using 1.5% as a flush recommended by my vet-i also used iodine, but that is real tricky since its toxic at low doses-what she had me do was put a drop into a cup of water and then take a drop from that mixture and apply it to another cup of water -that was the dilution she recommended to mix with my 1.5% peroxide

M

mark

Thank you for the advice folks - and the mini science lesson Mike! As the wound is not deep the bacteria will be aerobic and H202 probably won't be that effective. I wonder if it's worth updating the wounds article on caudata culture as that makes no mention of it's limitation? Is Betadine available from a Pharmacy or is that a trip to the vet?
Mark

(Message edited by aartse_tuyn on June 02, 2005)

E

ester

Btw, what kind of wounds are these? Do you know what caused them?

M

mark

The wound is a small ulcer on the tail. I have one salamander who repeatedly suffers from this type of infection whilst his co-inhabitants remain healthy. Maybe it's crickets having a nibble but it seems odd only one animal is affected. The animal continues to feed and shows no other signs of illness. Normally after a short period of quarantine the wound heals and all is well...until next time

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!