Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Soil" substrate?

M

matt

I'm currently planning a relatively large set-up for Tylototriton shanjing.

Most people recommend "soil" as a substrate, but I haven't seen anyone expand on this. Which type of soil is best? Regular potting soil? The expandable soil substrates sold for reptiles?

Also, what's the best way to maintain the vivarium (especially a larger, landscaped vivarium with dense planting) from a cleaning point of view? Short of cleaning water bowls, tidying the substrate surface and so on, is it necessary to completely empty and clean the tank from time to time?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
happy.gif

C

carl

john innes 3 i think i spelt that right although i think i could be wrong so dont listen to me

M

matt

I was under the impression that John Innes #3 was too acidic (and too peaty) for most newts?

M

mark

Garden topsoil from areas free from pesticides/herbicides is pretty good.

I have problems with a lack of moisture though, so i have a 50:50 mix of topsoil and some "forest bed" expandable substrate.

I'm told its wise to avoid coconut fibre stuff as its prone to mould and doesn't provide as good a moisture gradient as soil.

As far as cleaning goes there isn't too much labour. Its a good idea to remove the surface layer and replace it every few months.
If the animals use the water area a lot they tend to drag in large amounts of substrate which means the gravel may have to be washed every now and again.

M

matt

Thanks Mark. I believe T. shanjing is almost entirely terrestrial, except when breeding, so I shouldn't imagine they'd foul their water much (except perhaps if they decide to breed, in which case I doubt I'll be complaining).

I'll check out the local garden centre for organic topsoil and perhaps mix in some forest bed or similar.

Thanks again.
happy.gif

E

edward

Hi Mark,
Most expandable beddings are coconut products or compressed peat. I personally keep them on fine milled cypress mulch.

Ed

P

paris

cypress mulch is highly acidic isnt it ed? i can get it easy but was scared of trying it -any drawbacks?

E

edward

Hi Paris,
Hmm, as far as I know cypress is neutral in acidity.

A quick google search seems to bear this out
http://www.areamulchandsoils.com/mulch.htm
http://www.alabamahydroponics.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-46.html

Over the long term pretty much all plant based soil amendments will reduce pH to some degree. In all of the shanjing cages I have ever used I have had a false bottom and perfomed water changes, so this may have limited any acidity. (Additionally in was in one of the tanks with cypress mulch at work that I bred them and had the eggs develop in the tanks with the mulch).

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1