Karelinii morph update

J

joseph

It has been a while since I have posted photos of these guys. They seem to have grown some but since I look at them every day I wouldn't know! These are raised in a totally aquatic setup.
DSCN1915.jpg

DSCN1924.jpg

DSCN1925.jpg

Yes, they're looking grown up. I wouldn't call them "morphs" any more, maybe "sub-adults". These guys really do grow up and mature quickly. From the looks of them, it wouldn't surprise me if you got eggs this spring.

Jen- are his from the same lot of eggs you sent me earlier this spring? I am shocked to see one of mine already showing signs of a crest and swollen cloaca.

Hi Meg, Joseph's karelinii are from the same season of eggs I sent out, but I was sending them for several months, so they may be different in age from yours. I believe that Joseph's are younger.

Subadults it is
happy.gif
. I believe these eggs were sent in April.

They do seem to have grown but I haven't measured them. What size will they attain in the first year?

The envelope they came in is dated April 11...how old are yours Meg?

Managed to get some better photos and also a measurement of one.

DSCN2060.jpg

DSCN2073.jpg

DSCN2073.jpg

DSCN2075.jpg

Hey!
DSCN2076.jpg

Just where do you think you're going?

DSCN2081.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

Smallest karelinii juvie. This one is odd in that it has only a few large black spots on it.

DSCN2148.jpg

One of the larger ones

DSCN2151.jpg

About 8 cm.

Awesome Joseph. Mine is at right about 8cm too right now. I haven't checked up on the ones my friends took in a while. That ruler is rather neat btw.

Hayden: When did yours morph? Ours are probably right on the same page.

LOL on the ruler. Its one of those things that is around forever and never dissapears permanently...its probably older than me.

Mine morphed awhile back. *thinks hard* not sure when. I'll be sure to get pics up soon. Mine were hatched in about April or May I'm not exactly sure. Im not good with dates or remembering things

If you do get some photos I would love to see them. I think mine on yours are around the same age as I received the eggs in April(think April 11th...the envelope they came in is still around somewhere)

Are there any T. karelinii in the US that aren't from Jennifer Macke's pairings?

DSCN3810.jpg

DSCN3832.jpg

DSCN3907.jpg

The largest 3 in particular have grown alot. They are eating machines and now take maybe 2-3 redworms each meal...and still look hungry.

I was surprised to see my T. karelinii that were hatched out last year are also starting to crest. They look so small compared to the full grown adults. The big adults are laying eggs. I found the first couple eggs on a damp turtle ramp. Hopefully they'll start laying in the water soon.

Good luck with your karelinii. I'm sure you will be knee deep in eggs/larvae soon. How big are your young adults?

Noticed the biggest gripping a leaf, bending it, and pretending to lay an egg...but nothing so far.

cool, good luck every1. I agree that they grow up so fast.. Isn't it amazing how fat they grow compaired to other species..

~John

For anyone following...here are some more updates on these guys.

DSCN4343.jpg

Ready to bolt at the sound of the gun...

DSCN4409.jpg

Any guesses on this one? I think it is a female. By far greediest and biggest of the batch. Also the most photogenic.

DSCN4346.jpg

DSCN4347.jpg

She(?) also developed an interestingly colored tail which is also very wide. So far no one else has a tail like this.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on February 05, 2006)

Hello Fishkeeper,

tailcolour, the orange I mean, can become much stronger. My female shows this feature too.Maybe it has a function in courtship. Especially in darker waters I can imagine it helps the male to locate the female.

And to illustrate a picture

image\popjpeg{53189,tail of a female karelinii about 10 months old}

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back