Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton laoensis breeding

P

paul

Continuation of the tread:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/70092.html?1164350685

My female laying eggs:
paramesotriton_laoensis-ablage2.JPG

Here you see how the cloaca "works", laying eggs deep between two leaves.

Eight eggs in one series:
eightpack.JPG

(one week old)

Paul

A

andy

Wow, Paul...what a great sight to see. Thanks for sharing. Now if only mine would do the same thing!

H

henk

Well well this is looking very good. All my animals now develop a nice white tail ... It's nice to se but ... don't know wether I need to laugh or cry ???

Nice to see that these Paramesotriton also lay there eggs in row like we are sued to see from other paramesotritons (so they read the good book). Much success in rearing them Paul...

H

henk

All my animals indeed , but if they contain females that's aonther question ... think all are males (there's one doubtfull case), so that's why ...
cry.gif

R

ralf

Yet another good reason to establish a registry for this species.

P

paul

I agree Ralf!
We urgently need a registry for laoensis, for breeding groups and changing information - as much as possible!
And we need a lot of breeding, that we never will have mass imports of this species.

Paul

H

henk

I'm willing to register them into the H. dunni setup software as I demonstrated in Gersfeld 2005. But I do not have sufficient time to establish the same efforts 'literature study, breeding data gathering) as for my H. dunni with this species. So if I can help with the register of this species, I am open to a joint collaboration with someone else ... and just for the good order my communication channel to actualise the studbook is email.
Also i someone else wants to cover it all , then I'll be happy to join in as a regular member.
proud.gif

S

sergé

So far Henk, there is of course very little literature available on this species!
That's another reason why a register is very important.
But don't forget that it is also important to show to the outside world that you take the keeping of this species in captivity serious. There is a global program starting where zoos are going to start captive breeding programs for endangered species. although P. laoensis is perhaps not threatened in nature, it's distribution area is very small and a few big exports can for sure damage populations. It is therefor important to show that we as keepers take it serious and try to establish a stud book for this species.

H

henk

Can not agree more Sergé, so I am willing to take part and help, but can certainly now, not carry the whole load.

TJ

Reaction score
Glorious!
biggrin.gif

And what interesting coloration they start out with!

My 2 (3?) females are getting acquainted with the new plants in their aquarium...and hopefully scouting out oviposition sites...

P

paul

@Tim, nothing new until now!
16 to 18 °C and the eggs develope very slow. Nearly four weeks until now and I think it will take one or two weeks until the first larvae slip.
But delicate to fungus! Lost some fertile eggs!
cry.gif

I think, other do well, but I am waiting
errr.gif

Paul

P

paul

Dear friends!

In the meantime I got E-mail from several people to build up this Register, and we already did it.
Have a look at www.ag-urodela.de
Here "Molchregister"
There you can see, that Gustavo Espallargas now is the new godfather of a P.laoensis and a P.deloustali Register.

So, if you want to give some support, please write to Gustavo.

Paul

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the great photo Paul.

I will be happy to register my 4 P. laoensis if what is envisaged is an international register and not just a European one
wink.gif
Good work!

P

paul

Jep ....
rofl.gif

Five and a half week!
I brought the temperature from 16°c up to 20 °C.
Yesterday the first Larva slipped.

paramesotriton_laoensis-l-1d.JPG

In the meantime I have six.
What can I say?
They look like larvae
proud.gif
- 14 mm!
Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1