Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! Is this serious?

T

tina

Her is a picture of my axie with a otto-fish stuck in her mouth! It seams the fish's head is stuck in the gills! The tip of the tail is comming out of her mouth. Shes been like this for about an hour! What shal I do???

Can I help her in any way?
She is flapping her gills alot...

50679.jpg

S

sarah

maybe u can try and gently pull the otto fish out with tweezers from the mouth, and maybe at the same time gently try to push the otto in from the gill.
Or just leave it as the fish will eventually breakdown, and then it maybe easier to pull out...
If i were in ur position i would try that.

T

tina

Craziest thing happened! I had 3 ottos in the axie tank. One got "eaten". I had two left in the tank. Then, today, I had three again! The fish must have been alive for all those hours, trapped in the axie's mouth! 'Couse now there are three happy ottos swimming around, munching algae....

S

sarah

LOL too funny
lol.gif

I bet the otto that was stuck, is telling the other two a great story :p

A

alex

lol, that was lucky! im supprised the otto lived that long in an axies mouth! any signs of teeth marks? i know axies dont have sharp or big teeth.

J

joan

This is why we don't recommend species mixing. Sharp-spined fish can impale in your axolotl's throat and kill it, so you've then lost the axolotl and the fish.

T

tina

The otto had a little mark on it's nose, but nothing more.

Are ottos sharp-spined?

J

joan

I'm not sure; it's just something to keep in mind. Also, you might want to try adding more hiding spots, where the otos can get away from the axolotls. Maybe some really small spots where the axolotls don't fit. How traumatic for the oto... (although I am giggling).

GonzaloT

Reaction score
Re: HELP! Is this seriuos?

This has happened to mine a few times. Most of the time he spits it back out though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!