Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red spots

MrGuyPerson

Reaction score
Hi All, I think this may be my first post here...not a super fun way to start, but that's OK. I've had this axolotl since 2000 and she's been awesome. She was out of my care for 2 years while I was living in dorms. Now that I've got an apartment, I've got her back. When I received her, she had what looked like a decent sized scrape on her forehead, as well as what looked like a vertical cut on her lip. I figured that she got startled and pinned-balled around the tank and whacked herself. Unfortunately, that was a few months ago and neither of them have gone away. She also has a few little reddish brown spots on her body and head. In the picture you can easily see the large mark between her eyes. At the posterior end of her head, on the left, you can see on of the red spots. On her ventral most gill on her right you can also see another one. There are also some large blotches on her body, that I cannot see in life and think that they are a product of my old camera. Looking at her now, I can't see them, and never noticed them before, but it may just be the lighting? I'd say she spends about 40% of the time on the bottom at 60% floating. She's been eating normally (voraciously). I had originally thought that maybe some of these were just wounds, and were not healing due to inconsistent temperatures. It was hard to keep her cool enough on a second floor with poor air flow in August, so I was constantly running frozen water jugs up and down. The temp would swing from mid 60s to low 70s all the time. Now that it's winter, the temp is consistently in the low to mid 60s and she hasn't healed up. She's still eating fine, but I am beginning to worry.

Edit: The marks haven't really seemed to grow or shrink in the time that I have had her.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 608

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the marks aren't changing, and she appears to be in good health otherwise, I would suspect that these things are just trophies of middle age - warts, moles, or scars. When I look at the spot on her front/right gill, it looks to me like a parasitic mite, due to the way it shines in the light. However, it's not large enough in the photo to tell for sure. I think it's likely that it's just some kind of mole that happens to look like a mite, so don't panic. If it were a mite, it would probably move around.

MrGuyPerson

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply! I hope that this is all it is. I'll keep an eye out for any changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1