Oily water?

lazymut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, ive noticed in the last few days that there is something oily on the surface of the water of the tank! if you touch it you can see it move around and its only very thin. the tank currently has no lid becuase of the temprature atm (trying to keep him cool) could this be part of the problem?

All replies appreciated!! :D

Re: oily water?

Water has high surface tension. That means 'stuff' will settle on top. In addition, axolotls and all the 'other' critters living in your tank (bacteria and whatnot) all secrete proteins. These often float to the surface, and leave a film.

To remove the film, you can gently float a piece of newspaper on top and pull it off quickly, or you can run a bubbler.

How is your water quality? All tests turn up normal?

nah its much thinner than that!

I don't know what you meant by this comment but it is definitely what Kaysie suggested. Basically, it's surface scum. Surface scum contains "it's own" colony of bacteria, fungi and even algae so it would be a good idea to remove it using a paper towel. I wouldn't use newspaper however because the ink can leak into the tank.

Possible causes of surface scum include:

- The factors that Kaysie mentioned

- Smoke fumes from cooking/heating and also oil droplets. I noticed that you don't have a lid placed over your tank. In that case, this second point becomes more relevant.

- Food; especially if you are feeding your axolotl fatty foods. Oil and water do not mix.

Jay.

Excerpt from http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQwat.shtml

My surface of my tank water has a film (or bubbles). Why? What should I do about it?
A film can be caused by dust on the surface or by protein in the water. Bubbles or foam are usually caused by protein. Although ugly, this is not a serious problem and will not harm the animals. To get rid of it, try the following:
  1. Be sure you are doing the recommended water changes, removing and replacing 10-20% of the tank water per week. If the problem is severe, you may want to do this more often.
  2. Add additional agitation of the water surface (like an airstone) to get rid of it.
  3. Use a paper towel or newspaper to skim off the film and bubbles.
  4. Minimize protein in the tank water by feeding less and/or removing uneaten food sooner. If using frozen bloodworms, thaw before use, and do not add the red liquid to the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back