Illness/Sickness: Puffy mouth and throat?

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Spazzatron
My beautiful Leui is on holiday at my friends house to be fattened up a bit more. She's been there since last Wednesday and was eating well until yesterday. Food includes bloodworms, black worms, earth worms and pellets. Apparently she just stopped eating after a water change. The tank isn't cycled, we know that, but she's been getting 100% water changes everyday in order to minimise ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. Today I was unfortunately informed that her mouth and throat has become so inflamed and puffy that she can't close her mouth. What could be the cause of this? I'll have pictures up as soon as I obtain some.

SN850532.jpg

SN850535.jpg

Oh my... she died :cry: Apparently she is dead in those pictures. My friend hadnt noticed. When she did notice though, her mouth had completely swelled until it closed and since she has few gills... she suffocated.

Sheryl, that's too bad. I'm sorry for your loss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back