Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl and paddle tail newt.

satinbaby

Reaction score
Hi all need some help.........

We brought a lovely wild coloured Axolotl the other week for my daughter he has settled in really well so decided to get another for company an Albino one they are both about 5 inches long so not babies but not old if that makes sense......

Well when we went to get the Albino one very sought after and difficult to get hold of!!! He/she happened to be in with a paddle tail newt?????? and another Albino Axolotl whom looked very weak....

I asked the chap at the shop what the Newt was as it obviously wasnt an Axolotl and he said a Paddle Tail Newt on questioning him about whether it was a good idea to keep these two different breeds together he assured me this was fine. By now i quite fancied this newt!!

So he said they were fully aquatic and ate the same as the Axies. So we decided to get the newt too.

This was today by the way so they are all new to the surroundings which is y im concerned!!.

Basically im now mega paronoid and worrying that this Newt is going to hurt the Axies or the Axies hurt the newt????

As i was under the impression axies only went in with their own kind.

I ve trailled the internet for the past 2 hours im a new Axie owner!! And dont want casulties ive also heard how some salamanders secreate toxins that are dangerus/deadly to others around them???

I have found out that Axies can be kept with LARVAL AMBYSTOMATIDS such as the tiger salamander or spotted salamander examples does this newt fit that catagory???

Any help very much appriciated

love Satin xxx

superfin

Reaction score
Hi:Dhalf the time pet store people have no idea what they are talking about and this is no exeption.Axolotls are not very good with any tank mates and espessialy not paddle tails as they are very terratorial.Seperate the two before they hurt each other.you might want to try this http://www.caudata.org/cc/faqFAQmis.shtm (6th one down).

chris:wacko:

IanF

Reaction score
I'm afraid you were given very bad information. Paddle-tail newts are VERY territorial and the Axolotl probably would behave the same. They'll fight constantly and if I were you I'd find a way to return the Paddle-tail or move it to it's own tank. Unfortunately Pet shops can't be trusted unless you yourself are postive they're giving good advice.
As for keeping it with larval ambystomatids, most people only do this because they can't tell the difference. I wouldn't recommend it as A. This could cause hybridisation, which isn't a 'good' thing in most peoples opinions. And B. If the Tiger Larvae/ Spotted Sal Larvae were to metamorphisise (they do it more commonly than Axolotls) then you'd have problems with that.
Anyway, good luck with your problem, and I hope this helps (the ambystoma larvae paragraph is my own personal opinion and some might think differently).

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Most larval ambystomatids are much more aggressive than axolotls, and will probably eat your axolotl. Most caudate species should be kept in single-species tanks.

satinbaby

Reaction score
Thankyou so much everyone im glad i asked the question now!!
I was sure there was a problem with this set up but obviously you believe the pet shop thinking they have the welfare of th animal in mind. Obviously not!!

Had i been not worried or know they may be a problem and not asked a question on here then my animals may have ended up injured or worse dead.

I dont know what to do now....????

He is a lovely chap we have the Axies set up for my daughter and the other two tanks are Tropical !!!! I m gonna end up buying a tank for this bloody newt !!!!!

I have been watching them all night making sure everyone is ok and the Albino Axolotl and the Newt are glued to each other!!! Socks our wild coloured one was not impressed by him and climbed over him!!!

The chap at the petshop said the Newt had been in with the Axies for ages !!! But would they notice an animal missing anyway????

I wud never take anything on that i thought i couldnt keep so..... my husband may divorce me but i think i need to buy a tank tomorrow!!! I have mature water anyway so thats not a problem xx

Thanks all again i will keep you informed and post some pics soon xxx

If anyone lives around the Midlands and wants an Albino Axolotl i know where there is one its a very weedy looking one so prob someone with alot of experience in bulking them up would be good.
As i said before there was two at the pet shop.

Speak soon

Satin xx

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Even though this won't change the fact that you cannot keep the newt in the same tank, it may not be a paddletailed newt at all. Obviously if your pet shop didn't know they shouldn't be kept together, they may also not know what kind of newt it is. We could help you identify it if you provided a picture. This could change what kind of setup it needs.

satinbaby

Reaction score
Hi awoke this morning after very bad sleep to find NO Paddle Tail Newt!!!
Luckily he has found a home in the filter!!!!

After lots of discussion with hubby have decided i cant let him go so im off to get aonther tank today!! I have matured water on standby anyway!!

468908018_10c6a8ae08.jpg

He is Def a Paddle Tail Newt i looked him up on Google he looks like this i will get apic tho of him in person when he comes from filter!!!

Speak soon all xxxxxcxx

Love Satin xx

IanF

Reaction score
Thats definately a paddle tail. Make sure you supply him with plenty of hides. Just make sure that the tank temperature stays below 20, enjoy setting up your tank. ;)

satinbaby

Reaction score
Hi all!!! Back from the pet shop £80 later!!! And maybe a divorce costing alot more!!

I have brought Niddy a beautiful tank, and plants an a wicked hidey!!!

Set it all up with some mature water to settle for a few days before i move him as dont want to cause any probs to him!!

He has been in the other tank filter all day so i will have to hope he stays there for a few days as the water settles in this new tank!!

The pic i posted was not of my Niddy newt but thats what he looks like i will get some pics soon an obviously some ones of out Axolotls Socks and ?????? No name yet!!

Thanks again guys if theres anything else you think i should know let me know!!

Love Satin xx

satinbaby

Reaction score
Hi everyone been waiting for my tank to mature for the past few days before introducing Niddy it has mature water in it before and i put a couple of goldfish to speed it up but unfortunatly there has been a problem as suspected.....

Niddy has hurt my Albino Axolotl on her/his front leg so i have promptly moved him to this new tank after obviously removing the goldfish first ....

I just hope the water is mature enough does anyone have any tips on settling him the best way to not stress him?

Also is there anything i should be aware of with the Albino Axolotl he has kind of took the skin off her/his front right leg and the leg seems to be just hanging on

Will the other Axolotl Socks bother it??? They have seperate feeding areas.

A QUICK MESSAGE TO ANYONE AS WELL WHO CONSIDERS MOVING SOMETHING ELSE IN WITH THEIR AXOLOTLS DONT !!! Its such a shame i was wrongly sold these two together.

It makes me wonder how many others do this.???

Any advice greatly appriciated xx

Love Satin xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1