Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Soil Ingredients

pepper

Reaction score
Would these two soils, with these ingredients be okay for a Tiger Salamander? I don't feed him in his enclosure, so this is not an impaction question.

First soil:

Aged and processed softwood bark and sawdust, sphagnum peat moss, pumice, sand, and composted animal manures.

Second soil:

Aged and processed softwood bark and sawdust, sphagnum peat moss, pumice, and composted animal manures. (no sand)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Neither is going to be appropriate. You don't want anything containing sphagnum or manure.

Go outside and dig a shovel full of dirt. That would work just fine. Or you can use coco fiber (which is commonly sold in 'bricks' that have to be soaked).

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I have kept Ambystoma maculatum, Ambystoma texanum, Ambystoma hybrids, and Ambystoma tigrinum on pure long fiber Wisconsin sphagnum for years with no problems. When moist it clumps well and allows them to construct burrow systems.

I have heard that low pH is a problem with sphagnum and I will go out on a limb to state that is load of hooey.

-Tim

Last edited:

pepper

Reaction score
The dirt here holds no moisture, and it's winter, there's 3 feet of snow on the ground, so I can't go out and get some lol.

I just have the soil mixed with coco fiber, the coco fiber doesn't really hold a lot of moisture, but the soil really holds in moisture, and in Alaska that can be quite a challenge, especially in the winter.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coco-fiber SHOULD hold moisture well. Mine does. It may help if you cover it with a layer of Repti-Bark or cypress mulch.

I checked what the Wright&Whitaker book has to say about amphib substrates, and the bottom line is: manure bad, peat moss bad, potting soil (i.e., surfactants, fertilizer, perlite, styrofoam) bad, cedar and pine bad, hardwood mulch good, outdoor soil OK, sphagnum moss OK. I can give more detailed info from the book, if anyone wants it.

I would still say it's worth testing the pH of the sphagnum and giving some discretion about what species it is used with, but evidently it gets the OK from W&W.

pepper

Reaction score
Why is it bad specifically, I can't find anything on the net or books that says it's bad, the only thing they say about soil is to make sure it does not have any plant growth things in it, like miracle grow, etc..

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sphagnum can be acidic. What about mixing sphagnum and coco fiber? I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

pepper

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant, whats so bad about the soils? The manure part of it.
Is it because the animal would basically be absorbing bacteria from the waste through their skin?

I'm not using any sphagnum moss, I have a different kind.

Also, what's the best way to keep the coco fiber moist, just spray it a lot and cover it with moss, or mulch??
Or?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
W&W says "Manure containing compost should be avoided altogether, because it is too acidic and there are often undesirable chemicals present." They don't say what kinds of chemicals, but agricultural animals are often fed antibiotics, hormones, etc. I actually have my doubts about the "acidic" part. From what I've seen, manure tends to be full of ammonia and generally have a high pH, not low.

You can also help keep the coco fiber moist by covering part of the screen lid with plastic. Also, having a thicker layer of it helps keep it moist. I usually pour water on it (in one corner of the tank), rather than spraying.

pepper

Reaction score
Ok, thank you, I'm going to finish out the bag of the coco fiber we have now, and trash the soil, I told my mom what you all said.

Then were just going to buy it in the bricks because the bag is almost 12 dollars for the same amount in a brick and the brick is only 5 dollars, so...good deal!

And, on the plus side of going to Petco to look at what they had, they had the only earthworms in town! yay!
And there small ones ironically enough :D

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Sphagnum can be acidic. What about mixing sphagnum and coco fiber? I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I use this mixture extensively with my burrowing species, it holds tunnels and burrows wonderfully. I collect my own sphagnum so I don't know if thats why I haven't noticed any ph problems. Hope this helps some.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to add to the discussion on 'sphagnum' - regarding sphagnum, there is much confusion.... as there are various substances referred to as 'sphagnum'. If you purchase a commercially available product in the US in a garden store, very generally, you may be getting one of two substances, one being a 'sphagnum' moss often used by florists for flower arranging that does not appear to be acidic. If you go into a garden center and purchase sphagnum peat moss (typically Canadian) it has a low pH usually around 3 - 4. This product is often used to augment a basic soil towards neutrality - when wet, peat releases tannic and gallic acids. Here is an MSDS sheet for sphagnum peat moss - note the pH range albeit this will vary depending on the vendor and lot:

http://www.peatmoss.com/pdf/msds.pdf

As a Master Gardener, I have seen some vendors offering tighter specs with pHs of 3 - 3.5.

Here is an old discussion on the issue including cation loss in caudates secondary to an acidic environment:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50568

IMO, to broadly state that a product is safe - may be dangerous.

As noted in this thread, it may be collected, or a positive experience with a specific type can be noted. There is just too much variability in the various substances lumped into the broad desctiptor of 'sphagnum'.

I would caution that if 'sphagnum' will be used as a substrate that the pH should be tested unless you are using a known, 'tried and true' entitiy.

bobberly1

Reaction score
Peat moss is acidic. Sphagnum, on the other hand, is known not to be and is purposely avoided by carnivorous plant growers for this reason. I like it because it holds more moisture than coco coir and I can collect it near my house. They do sell decomposed sphagnum moss, which they call peat sphagnum and is acidic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1