b00f's Tank

b00f

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey Guys

after 45.6C over the weekend, it gave me a chance to clean up my room, and get my tank and stand in there...

It was hot, but the fans and a/c helped (only just)

What i plan to do is make a lil running blog showing what stage im at.
Plan to get everything up and fully ready in 4-7 weeks

So Here goes:

My New 30x14x14 tank with Stand

JBL 120 Filter - Spray Bar
Assortment of silk plants
Fake Rock Hide + 2 rocks (added height)

Hood is currently being built.

Future Work:

EL wire lights in hood (blue and white)
2x Fans for circulation in Hood
Stain/Paint

Things On the Shopping List
- Fans
- Lights
- Inhabitants - Looking at just throwing a hand full of fry in there for the mean time while tank is cycling

This will be updated as i go.

Aaron

Attachments

• S1050434.jpg
    S1050434.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 703
  • S1050443.jpg
    S1050443.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 510
Oh Aaron that is lovely!

I'd leave off the lights for the summer, though...

Gosh that is a pretty setup.

-Eva

Oh Aaron that is lovely!

I'd leave off the lights for the summer, though...

Gosh that is a pretty setup.

-Eva

the lights im getting are "electrolumicent" wire.
its not very bright,

you know the glow wire you can get off ebay... simply that :p

the lights im getting are "electrolumicent" wire.
its not very bright,

you know the glow wire you can get off ebay... simply that :p

Umm.... nope, never heard of it. Google, here I come! :D

thanks paul, give me a few weeks and i should have the hood with fans + lighting kit installed

just wanna say thanks for all the direction, and help from everyone, all pretty great

please feel free to give ANY advice or criticism

Hi Boof,

That tank setup is beautiful and axolotl safe. Great job.

Cheers

omg it looks really beautyfull! and big, i bet it will be perfect for axies

Hey, just thought id give you guys an update of what I have done over the last few days.

(pics will be posted as soon as i can find some AA's, computer wont detect camera unless its charged)

I have installed 2x 120mm Fans in my hood (flat)
just before i begin, anyone who is having issues with temp due to heat (us aussies are getting toasted atm) should do this. Its simple, and all you need is:

+75mm Screws + drill
+ Something to use as a spacer (i have used small length of soft air tubing (not aquarium stuff went to bunnings, it needs to be a little stiff

(you could use a small legth of solid plastic tube cut to length)

+ Fans. Personally, Pc fans work great, if you go to a Computer shop, they give you the cabling required to hook it up to your computer, well, why not just use this cabling, this saves confusion for the electricity n00bs, simple plug and play this way.

+ AC -> Dc Adapter. I went to my local Dick Smith (radioshack basically) and brought a adpartoer that looks like:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/L53BR.jpg

(the one i have is switchable from 1.5v up to 12v with variable ampage)

i then wired a Molex connector (same power cable used inside your computer)

http://www.pcsilent.de/ppic-MAXI--525molex3.jpg (this is exactly what i used)

cut the end off the adaptor and soldered the molex connector to the black and yellow wires (these are the 12v, red and black is 5v)

Now for mounting of the fans.

Simply mark up where you want to mount the fan.
Do a bit of testing, make sure you can still open your hood without the fan hitting the hood.

Mark positions.

Use the tubing, cut to length to create a space between the top of hood and fan.
drive the screw through the hole in fan, through the tube, and into top of hood.

I used the tube on only 1 side of fan (closed to open edge of hood). this was so i could mount the fans on an angle.

Pictures:
http://i42.tinypic.com/sl5lr7.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/21mx1ue.jpg

Connect all the wires up to the loom of molex connectors and plug in adaptor,and listen to the hum :D

I have to re-iterate: the spacers used can be anything, just make sure its cut to cuit how you want it mounted.

Temp Before Fans: 24.6 to 25.1 (got scary when it hit 25)

Temp After Fans: 20.1 til 22.1

I would consider this mod to anyone who has a spare, 10 mins, and some old pc gear laying around,

total cost was: fans: $15, screws: $1 Tube: .40c

cheap simple easy investment.

(il posty pics ASAP)

Last edited:
Hey, just thought id give you guys an update of what I have done over the last few days.

(pics will be posted as soon as i can find some AA's, computer wont detect camera unless its charged)

I have installed 2x 120mm Fans in my hood (flat)
just before i begin, anyone who is having issues with temp due to heat (us aussies are getting toasted atm) should do this. Its simple, and all you need is:

+75mm Screws + drill
+ Something to use as a spacer (i have used small length of soft air tubing (not aquarium stuff went to bunnings, it needs to be a little stiff

(you could use a small legth of solid plastic tube cut to length)

+ Fans. Personally, Pc fans work great, if you go to a Computer shop, they give you the cabling required to hook it up to your computer, well, why not just use this cabling, this saves confusion for the electricity n00bs, simple plug and play this way.

+ AC -> Dc Adapter. I went to my local Dick Smith (radioshack basically) and brought a adpartoer that looks like:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/L53BR.jpg

(the one i have is switchable from 1.5v up to 12v with variable ampage)

i then wired a Molex connector (same power cable used inside your computer)

http://www.pcsilent.de/ppic-MAXI--525molex3.jpg (this is exactly what i used)

cut the end off the adaptor and soldered the molex connector to the black and yellow wires (these are the 12v, red and black is 5v)

Now for mounting of the fans.

Simply mark up where you want to mount the fan.
Do a bit of testing, make sure you can still open your hood without the fan hitting the hood.

Mark positions.

Use the tubing, cut to length to create a space between the top of hood and fan.
drive the screw through the hole in fan, through the tube, and into top of hood.

I used the tube on only 1 side of fan (closed to open edge of hood). this was so i could mount the fans on an angle.

Pictures:
http://i42.tinypic.com/sl5lr7.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/21mx1ue.jpg

Connect all the wires up to the loom of molex connectors and plug in adaptor,and listen to the hum :D

I have to re-iterate: the spacers used can be anything, just make sure its cut to cuit how you want it mounted.

Temp Before Fans: 24.6 to 25.1 (got scary when it hit 25)

Temp After Fans: 20.1 til 22.1

I would consider this mod to anyone who has a spare, 10 mins, and some old pc gear laying around,

total cost was: fans: $15, screws: $1 Tube: .40c

cheap simple easy investment.

(il posty pics ASAP)

hahaha you'd better post quick! i wanna see it completed!!

Thanks Aaron for generously sharing the project and allowing everyone who is keen on it to embark on the project themselves. The cost breakdown was also a nifty guide.

Cheers.

order for my lights has processed, should be here today or tomorrow

going for a blue hazey light, and a white light....

(hope today, as i have tomorrow off work :) )

Hi, again

here are some quick snaps, (really quick, and sorry about them being a bit blurry, i need new camera)

Bubbles:
14t975k.jpg

i have called her Bubbles for now, as when ever i go in my room she is snapping at the bubbles

Chomp
2u6mbmo.jpg

Chomp has two small chunks from her tail missing, also temp name :p

View from my Bed
vg4prm.jpg

The lights installed are simply, CCFL tubes from a Computer Supplies, used for modifying computers, they are available on ebay...

all the wiring is REALLY easy, and is all plug and play with Molex Connecters (the ones inside your computer)

AWESOME lighting!!!! I love it!

Lovely!

-Eva

haha thanks guys, im a bit unsure if i want to install a white bar in there aswell, as the blue gts a bi hard on the eye, i think i need a whole bunch of switches, and some rewiring of the whole thing, but that will be alot further down the track once everything is sorted

i am rather happy with the whole thing,

a fluro and stuff was over $130 with white and blue tube...

my set up, including fans, is still under $60

rather happy

if anyone is thinkin of doing this, i highly suggest it, you can hold the tubes, so dont worry about heat.

ps. install these at your own whim :p

my girlfriend finds it hard to sleep, with all the blue-ness and with the fans running, and air pump chugging away, not to mention the trickle of the filter....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back