T.Verrucosus Q's

blackbat67

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been researching T.Verrucosus for some time now and am considering getting a pair of them. However, just so that I know exactly what I am doing, I have a few questions, most of them arising from conflicting or unclear advice I have found on various caresheets etc. (Obviously I will not be buying any of the newts until I am 100% sure about everything :))

1) Temperature: Is a heater necessary? Some say to heat the water, others say not to. If it helps, my room temp. is approx. 20c/68F.

2) Filter: Is a filter necessary? Or would regular water changes (daily? weekly? what?) be adequate? If a filter is recommended, what sort/make would you recommend? (Btw, the tank size is 45cm x 30cm x 30cm - although I will upgrade size as newts grow if need be.)

Okay, so those are the main things I wanted to get advice on :)

Other Stuff:
-- Plants: what plants d'ya think'd be good in there? (Preferably ones that will do well in low light.)
-- Feeding: what are your newts' favourite foods (earthworms, bloodworms, crickets, mealworms, etc)?
-- Pellets? I've read that some people feed pellets (Tetra Chiclid, I remember).

I think that's it for now :)
Sorry about some of the noobish questions, I just want everything to be good - and there's nought like firsthand experience! :D Thanks.

I have a pair of T. verr. that I've done pretty well with, I think. They absolutely do not need ANY heat. 68 is fine.
I don't have a filter, but an airstone, and I do a 1/4 water change every two weeks. I have java moss in their tank. They handfeed earthworms, and they especially love slugs when I find them.
My female has gotten pretty fat, so I cut her back to 1/3 a nightcrawler, two times a week.

I've posted a lot on my pair, if you're interested:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56092

Thanks Dawn, that's some helpful information :happy:
It's good to hear what other, more experienced keepers have to say!

This really shouldn't have been approved for the advanced section but I suppose it's too late at this point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back