Photos of my Axolotl tanks

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I've been working with them for several weeks and finally am happy with the aquascaping design. The plants will still need to grow a bit and I have some more plants to move into the tanks, but here are some preliminary photos. Please forgive the fact that I forgot to clean the water spots off of the glass after scrubbing the inside biofilm away for photographing the tanks.

I have collected all of my driftwood and rocks personally. I store any new driftwood in a large tub full of water in the basement. Some of these pieces have taken over 2 years to fully absorb enough water to use in an aquarium, but the wait is worth it. For plants, I prefer bomb-proof varieities of Java Fern and Anubias, although I do add a couple crypts here and there.

The next time I post here, I will make sure to clean the glass a little better.

My first is a 29 gallon tank with two leucistic axolotls (and I just discovered two tiny baby zebra danios which somehow got left behind when the danios and tetras were moved to another tank)

leucistic%20crop.jpg

The next two tanks are 10 gallon tanks, each housing one wild-type axolotl. I really like how I used black sand for the leucistic and white sand (or white with a little bit of black mixed in) for the wild type. It really highlights the critters.

wild2%20cropped.jpg

Wild%20Axoloto%20cropped%20dirty%20glass.jpg

They are all looking fantastic. Very natural looking, well done on the good work!

Beautiful tanks!!! Thank you for sharing!

These are lovely. I enjoy the way you have anchored the plants on the wood and rock. It highlights the middle space of the tank.

Great looking tanks I bet you will have very happy inhabitants

Thanks everyone. Looking at these photos, I've decided to paint the back of my tanks black. Our "fish" room is painted in a dark green which makes for a good background if the glass is clean, but I want to get rid of the filters and power cords that are visible.

Any suggestions on a safe paint to paint on an aquarium that is in use?

Any suggestions on a safe paint to paint on an aquarium that is in use?

Don't use an aerosol (spray paint), prep the glass well, tape off the tops of the tanks with plastic and tape the trim. Find a good non toxic paint and a small 2" roller and have fun!

Couldn't you just paint the outside back of the tank?
Then it wouldn't matter id its toxic or not? not to sure

Yes, I will paint the outside of the tanks. :p

These r excellent setups I am planning on setting a new tank up for my axo's tomorrow. I have a 3.5 foot tank which holds 350 litres approx. Just wondering what u keep ur water level at? Ty

I'm interested in how you keep the water so clear? And is the white sand just 'play' sand?

Cheers

Also I read that the axies will rip plants up... have you had any difficulty in that regard?

Actually they don't intentionally go 'rip plants out', rather they often 'snout'/dig around the substrate (uproot), swim around haphazardly or even esting on plants that inevitably damage some of them. As such it is best to stick to plants that can be anchored to a piece of driftwood or rock. Plants with broad leaves are often a good choice compared to those with fine delicate leaves.

Wow... amazing looking tanks! Well done!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back