PH of substrates (terrestrial) and caudate health

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
I keep finding references (in various publications) to a possible link between low terrestrial substrate pH and health issues around the library and the web.

I cannot, seem to find the source material(s) that document this.

Any suggestions?

The importance of avoiding peat moss or other low-pH substrates was often preached by Ed Kowalski, a zookeeper at Philly Zoo. I believe he did post a reference, but it would take some serious digging to find that.

Here is a starting point from Wright & Whitaker, Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry, p.42:
"Peat moss and potting mixes should be avoided. They are too acidic for many amphibians and will irritate the skin. Caecilians, in particular, are very sensitive to contact with peat (O'Reilley et al 1995)."

OReilley, Fenolio, Ready 1995. Limbless amphibians: Caecilians. The Vivarium 7(1):26-54.

I think this thread was misplaced... I'll move it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back