Question: Mean old (firebelly?) newt. Need advice!!

hotsauce

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all!

My newt tale begins 13 years ago when I was 10 years old. I inherited two small (4") firebelly newts from a kid up the street who was moving away. I loved them like children and was always glad to show off their colorful bellies to friends and family. A few years later, one of them passed away. My grandparents heard the news and decided to get me another newt to keep my now lonely one company. They brought me two new ones that the store had told them were firebelly newts. However, these looked different. They were bigger (6"), completely brown, and a bit....uglier than my original ones. No colorful bellies.

Within a week, I found my original newt in pieces in the tank. Within six months, the smaller of the two new ones had met a similar (presumably violent) demise.

I am now 23, graduated college, and finally getting my own place. This large, kinda ugly guy is still alive and kicking. (see attached picture) I am hoping to move him to a bigger tank and get him some company in my new place. These are my questions for you:

Is this really a firebelly newt, or do I have a different species?
Why did he kill the other two newts? Were they all male or something, or will he just kill anything?
Is it safe to add another creature to the tank? (frog, turtle, other newt?) If so, what?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Attachments

• newt.jpg
    newt.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 654
Looks like a Paddle Tail newt to me. (Pachytriton brevipes/labiatus)

They are commonly mistaken as firebelly newts in the pet trade. Both are completely aquatic and highly aggressive. Measuring around 6"-7" they are also slightly larger than cynops. They are extremely territorial and should be kept in a single species pairs.

They should never be housed with other newt species as it is VERY likely they will attack and eventually kill them. Which is what happened in your case.

I'm sorry for your loss, but it was misinformation given by the store as well. Cheers! Looks like a healthy paddle tail to say the least :eek:

From the picture it looks like a paddle tail newt. I am new to this hobby. Try looking under the articles for both paddle tail newt and fire belly newt which is also called cynops orientalis. I would almost bet that the above species is definitely NOT a fire belly newt. The pet store definitely misidentified. If you cannot find a photo under "articles", try to google paddle tail newt.

hth

Also if you do plan to move him to a bigger tank, they appreciate colder water 50-65 F. Try not to let temps go over 75F. They also prefer fast moving streams so if you can provide a current in one part of the tank he will love that. Try to find out if you've got a male or a female. Male newts prefer plump females and may attack or show aggression to thin ones.

I also don't recommend adding more than one newt, they seem to prefer a smaller crowd. As for addition tank mates, I'd go no further than some white cloud minnows. Keep in mind if he can catch them they may be a meal as well ;)

Thank you guys. This has been very helpful.

Hi hotsauce, could you define "a few years later"? I am making a list of anecdotal records of newt longevity, and I'd like to know how long you've had your healthy paddletail in captivity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back