Axolotl x-ray

mem1718

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

I was a derp and put rocks in the bottom of my axolotl's (Quetzalcoatl's) tank. He ingested two of them, and I thought I'd post a picture as further warning to other derps like me. Even big rocks can be ingested.

I do have a question about diet, however. The vet said I should feed Quetzalcoatl two cubes of bloodworms per day. What do you guys feed your axolotls?

Attachments

• rads.jpg
    rads.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 6,039
i think u need to let those rocks pass first
also, i dont like bloodworms for adult axolotls, way too messy
instead, try earthworms or roaches

I hope those stones pass.. Otherwise vet intervention will be needed. If things don't pass soon try fridging the lotl.

I feed my axolotls, both babies and adults earthworms. It's the best nutrition they can get. Earthworms and axolotl/salmon pellets.

Bloodworms are messy, he will most likely eat of the floor and ingest sand/gravel off your tank and will foul your water causes bad water quality.

Earthworms. Feed earthworms. You can treat them with pellets or occasionally feeder fish (as long as you make sure they aren't carrying diseases or parasites) and some people also treat shrimp.

I would recommend roaches, personally. I try to limit anything with bones or exoskeletons.

But earthworms. Seriously. They're cheap, clean, and extremely nutritious.

Thanks, guys! For some reason, I thought feeding earthworms was bad, but I will definitely switch to them now.

One of the stones has actually been in his digestive tract for 2 months now. The vet I took him to specializes in endoscopy, so hopefully he'll be healthy soon.

Earthworms. Feed earthworms. You can treat them with pellets or occasionally feeder fish (as long as you make sure they aren't carrying diseases or parasites) and some people also treat shrimp.

I would recommend roaches, personally. I try to limit anything with bones or exoskeletons.

But earthworms. Seriously. They're cheap, clean, and extremely nutritious.

I just noticed a typo. I would not recommend roaches. I'd be worried about them biting my axolotl, also I'd be worried about diseases or parasites. Perhaps it's unfounded paranoia, but roaches just seem much dirtier...

But it's still personal choice. I think people feed them to tigers, so whatever you feel like, I guess.

Saw that x-ray on tumblr :( poor thing. Good job taking it to the vet and correcting the problem however, I appluad you for learning from it. As the others said, earthworms are the most appropriate food for your lotl. Bloodworms aren't a good food for adults. Also adults don't need to eat that often - theyre usually fed about three times a week with one big, juicy worm or a couple of smaller ones.

my axolotls had a steady diet of bloodworms for a year
I did switch to earthworms as they are much easier to feed and are not nearly as messy

when feeding bloodworms to reduce the mess use a feeding jar
right now i cant use a feeding jar so i wind up doing a water change every couple days to get rid of the left over blood worms
as everyone has said, theyre just messy :p

Also adults don't need to eat that often - theyre usually fed about three times a week with one big, juicy worm or a couple of smaller ones.

This depends on different axolotls. As long as your axolotls head is as wide as it's body it's healthy - and to maintain that weight the amount of worms differ. My wildtype had 3ish worms every second day to maintain his weight, my leucistic had 1 every 2 days to maintain weight. The worms were adults of the same type and length.

If your axolotl is a bit skinny, much feed more, if it's a little on the plump size - cut back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back