A tale of two newts (fire belly)

ctfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
My son recently (last 3 weeks) acquired two fire belly newts. We got one and he loved it so much that we picked him up another.

The first newt "Thor", stays on land almost all the time. he usually has his tail or part of his body in the water, but he doesn't move very often and we've barely ever seen him in the water. He did seem to freak out when we put him in one time when moving decorations. I read about this in other threads and it could be bad or because he is new, but I think the difference here is that he eats well for us. We feed him frozen bloodworms every other day. Feeding him is pretty easy as we put the worms in front of him, he turns his head or moves towards it and eats. I think we're fine with him. I plan to add more plants and hope he'll eventually swim more. Hopefully no one sees any real red flags here.

the second newt "Flame" spends most of his time in the water. He also seems healthy and happy. My question here is how (not what) to feed him. I'm cautious about just putting the blood worms in the water and leaving them there. He doesn't seem to just go towards the worms and I don't want to dirty the water. What we have been doing (at the recommendation of the pet store worker) is to catch him and put him in a small beta container with just enough water to cover him and put the worms in there with him. That has worked and he eats that way but it's a bit of a hastle and my son feels like we're stressing him. Is there a better way to easily feed an aquatic newt and keep the water clean?

Get a small dish to go on the bottom of the tank thaw the bloodworms out and use tweezers to put the worms in the dish so when he's done eating suck them up with a turkey baster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back