Adding a new axolotl

Nikkimarie728

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there!
I currently have 2 full grown axolotls in a 55 gallon tank. I recently rescued a baby off of my local marketplace and have been rehabbing her to rehome. The home unfortunately fell through as they realized weren’t ready for the responsibility. Luckily, as this one has grown I can tell she’s a female which are what my other 2 are. She is currently about 4-5inches while my other 2 are roughly 9-11in. How big should she be to safely add to the tank? And what is the safest way to acclimate? Do I need to worry about fights? Separate them temporarily? I remember with my first 2 I had used a divider but with 3 I’m not too confident on the route to take.
I will also be redoing my tank with some slate to add more hiding spots and some extra walking levels/plants etc while I wait for her to grow..

being five inches there is likely hood of being hunted by the other two, until she is near to the size of the others she will have to be separated.

being five inches there is likely hood of being hunted by the other two, until she is near to the size of the others she will have to be separated.
Yep! I am aware of that, I’m just wondering the best way when the time comes to introduce them so I can plan ahead 😊 I won’t be adding her until she’s grown enough, I just want to make sure I do it the best way

before allowing them in together (once she is of equal size) it might be an idea to first use the divider to allow her to be acclimatised and for the other two to get used to her scent (adult axolotls have a good sense of small compared to juvenile axolotls which are movement orientated), with plenty of hides there is less chance of territorial squabbling although feeding time may cause the odd nip here and there (this still happens even when used to each other) this happens more if you have one axolotl that is bigger and more dominant.

before allowing them in together (once she is of equal size) it might be an idea to first use the divider to allow her to be acclimatised and for the other two to get used to her scent (adult axolotls have a good sense of small compared to juvenile axolotls which are movement orientated), with plenty of hides there is less chance of territorial squabbling although feeding time may cause the odd nip here and there (this still happens even when used to each other) this happens more if you have one axolotl that is bigger and more dominant.
Perfect! That was my initial plan but I always second guess myself! I believe you were also the one who helped with my cloudy tank questions a couple of weeks back as well. (She’s back to crystal clear again) Thank you for your quick responses and advice! It’s much appreciated!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back