Advice for Salamander Release Date

mavors

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone,

I successfully rehabilitated a salamander that had been stepped on back in May. I think that he is ready for release, but I would really appreciate some input on what time it best to release him. It can either be in September or next spring. I can fatten him up and release him near a makeshift hibernaculum in September to improve his chance of surviving over the winter for September. Or would next spring be better because the environment will be more productive and he can live safely with me over the winter?

All input or thoughts would be much appreciated!

If there is any chance at all that it may have come into contact with another amphibian, or that it may have come into contact with any object that may have come into contact with another amphibian, do not release it.
If you cannot release it where it was originally captured, do not release it.
If it is not legal where you are to release it, do not release it.

If there is any chance at all that it may have come into contact with another amphibian, or that it may have come into contact with any object that may have come into contact with another amphibian, do not release it.
If you cannot release it where it was originally captured, do not release it.
If it is not legal where you are to release it, do not release it.
Thanks Herpin Man, but I am aware of all this. He is safe to release.

If the animal has any residual deficits/defects from being stepped on, it likely won't survive long in the wild. Im not sure how much conditioning this salamander received in your care, but usually, organizations that release animals back in their native habitat have extensive protocols. I have tiger salamanders that I purchased in January from a bat store just to save a few from getting hooked through the face and swallowed by a big bass...these things now literally run out of their tunnels and water area every time I walk by the enclosure because they associate people with food. This behavior would likely lead to their demise in the wild. It is likely that the more time this animal spends in your care the lower the chances are that it will survive in the wild. You could try an outside enclosure using a big storage tub and see how the salamander does.
Just my 2 cents.

If the animal has any residual deficits/defects from being stepped on, it likely won't survive long in the wild. Im not sure how much conditioning this salamander received in your care, but usually, organizations that release animals back in their native habitat have extensive protocols. I have tiger salamanders that I purchased in January from a bat store just to save a few from getting hooked through the face and swallowed by a big bass...these things now literally run out of their tunnels and water area every time I walk by the enclosure because they associate people with food. This behavior would likely lead to their demise in the wild. It is likely that the more time this animal spends in your care the lower the chances are that it will survive in the wild. You could try an outside enclosure using a big storage tub and see how the salamander does.
Just my 2 cents.
Thank you, I may try the tub. I have had him for three months and try not to handle or hand feed him, however he does stick his head out for food when he knows I'm around. And hats off to you for saving those salamanders :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back