Ambystoma andersoni setups

Sean90

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Sean
Not sure if this is the right place to post thread but i have a specific question.

I was wondering if anyone had pictures of their A. Andersoni set ups. Or does anyone have any suggestions or tips on their enclosure design enriched or naturalistic?

My andersoni tank was just bare bottom with lots of moss and plants, with a few hides. Nothing too fancy. I don't know if I have any pictures of the full setup. I kept them on sand and large river rocks for a while, but after I moved a bare bottom was looking pretty good compared to hauling more rocks. I don't know about making it natural - I'd assume anything that looks like the bottom of a lake.

They do seem to like it colder than axolotls, and mine were never shy. I noticed that when I had river rocks they did a lot of nosing around between them. Have you looked up pictures of their native lake?

They do seem to like it colder than axolotls

Totally agree with this, my A.mexicanum and A.andersoni have been at 5c-10c for the last couple of months. Both species look in superb condition, they are both eating less than usual and have lower activity levels but the A.andersoni are a lot more active. Both my tanks have a sand substrate, hides and were heavily planted in the summer, lack of light caused some plant die offs (my shed is not lit and relies on daylight) so they have just a bit of elodea atm. The A.andersoni tank has a filter as recommended to me by the breeder I had them off , whilst my A.mexicanum tank is unfiltered. Are you looking to get some A.andersoni ? If so pm me I am trying to source some more and will be off to Germany to get them later in the year.

My andersoni tank was just bare bottom with lots of moss and plants, with a few hides. Nothing too fancy. I don't know if I have any pictures of the full setup. I kept them on sand and large river rocks for a while, but after I moved a bare bottom was looking pretty good compared to hauling more rocks. I don't know about making it natural - I'd assume anything that looks like the bottom of a lake.

They do seem to like it colder than axolotls, and mine were never shy. I noticed that when I had river rocks they did a lot of nosing around between them. Have you looked up pictures of their native lake?

Thanks Elena
I have only ever seen the ones at Chester Zoo and their on a small gravel with bog wood and live plants. Haven't found much literature on their native habitat and pictures I have found have been taken from above water. I have read plenty on temperatures being important.
The sand and river rocks seems like an idea.
Sean

Totally agree with this, my A.mexicanum and A.andersoni have been at 5c-10c for the last couple of months. Both species look in superb condition, they are both eating less than usual and have lower activity levels but the A.andersoni are a lot more active. Both my tanks have a sand substrate, hides and were heavily planted in the summer, lack of light caused some plant die offs (my shed is not lit and relies on daylight) so they have just a bit of elodea atm. The A.andersoni tank has a filter as recommended to me by the breeder I had them off , whilst my A.mexicanum tank is unfiltered. Are you looking to get some A.andersoni ? If so pm me I am trying to source some more and will be off to Germany to get them later in the year.

Hi Ian
Seen the pictures of your set ups which look great and as you naturally encourage snails for natural feeding. Researching an enclosure design idea and have contacted the breeder you put me in contact with see how she keeps hers.
At the moment trying to focus on keeping Tylototriton. Also don't think i could afford the costs of an andersoni including the chillers and stuff. Thanks anyway.

I am thinking a set up with river rocks and maybe a sand mixture with rock hides and heavily planted maybe with some duck weed to provide cover.
Sean

Thanks Elena.
For the feedback I have been trying to research the micro habitat of the lake but haven’t found much literature or images because they seem to be taken above water.
I have found people on the forum keep them with plants and sand. Also read stuff about temperatures. I have seen them kept on fine gravel with live plants and bog wood in a tank.
Hi Ian
Have seen the pictures of your setup and look great with plenty of coverage and the way you encourage snails for natural diet. At the moment I am only researching the idea for an enclosure design involving A.andersoni.
I am focusing on keeping Tylototriton species at the present time. Not sure I could afford A.andersoni with the chillers and so on.
Thinking an idea with river stones, rock hides, live plant including some duckweed.
Thanks for the information.

Hi Ian
Also don't think i could afford the costs of an andersoni including the chillers and stuff. Thanks anyway.

I dont use a chiller, my adult A.andersoni and A.mexicanum are kept in an insulated shed subject to seasonal variations in temp but with the winter and summer temps capped at between 5c-20c, I have a space heater and ac unit on stand by but have yet to use them in temps between -5c and 27c. The cost of A.andersoni in the UK is exorbitant, they are cheaper on the continent if you can source them and arrange a courier. I can probably do both and am looking to source A.andersoni for a couple of friends and my self later this year. Pm me and we can discuss this.

Germany eh?! They have coppers there too (hint hint) lol

As far as I was aware ANY animal being imported needs paperwork. Unless of course you're aiming to release them into the English Channel with a map and a compass and leave them to make their own way to Wales.

To import the A.andersoni from the EU I would need a healtch certificate from the seller , A.mexicanum would need additional CITES paperwork

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back