Axolotl bloated?

Kipolomus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, I have a axolotl which I have had for over a year now. Adopted him when he was a few months old. I noticed he seems a bit plump compared to other axolotls and he has recently been seemingly having trouble keeping his back legs and tail down. I have researched the symptoms of bloat, but he only fits one of the symptoms; which is trouble keeping his back legs and tail down. He has been like this for a day or so, at first I chalked it up to he was just being weird but I am beginning to get a little worried. He still wants to eat (nipped at my fingers constantly and followed me around while checking his water), his parameters are all in the good range; temperature is at 67F(18.5C), and he does not seem to be acting abnormal besides the floating of his back end. I have added pictures as well for reference. I cannot think of what the problem is as he seems fine besides this one aspect. He has not pooped in a 3 days though, but I have noticed as he has gotten older he tends to poop less. Any advice/help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• kipster1.jpg
    kipster1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 168
  • kipster2.jpg
    kipster2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 128
  • kipster3.jpg
    kipster3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
Hi there, I have a axolotl which I have had for over a year now. Adopted him when he was a few months old. I noticed he seems a bit plump compared to other axolotls and he has recently been seemingly having trouble keeping his back legs and tail down. I have researched the symptoms of bloat, but he only fits one of the symptoms; which is trouble keeping his back legs and tail down. He has been like this for a day or so, at first I chalked it up to he was just being weird but I am beginning to get a little worried. He still wants to eat (nipped at my fingers constantly and followed me around while checking his water), his parameters are all in the good range; temperature is at 67F(18.5C), and he does not seem to be acting abnormal besides the floating of his back end. I have added pictures as well for reference. I cannot think of what the problem is as he seems fine besides this one aspect. He has not pooped in a 3 days though, but I have noticed as he has gotten older he tends to poop less. Any advice/help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for reading.
Hello! First of all, your "he" appears to be a "she". While its hard to be 100% sure until they are bred, I would definitely say female based on her body shape. In which case, that roundness would be normal. If she is having trouble with her hind legs and tail floating up, sometimes that can be from constipation. She appears very healthy otherwise so as long as she is eating and isn't showing signs of lethargy, I wouldn't be too worried at this point. Just keep a close eye on her and monitor her water parameters. My female tends to get a little extra "bloaty" looking this time of year, especially if we have a temperature drop since it's their natural breeding season.

Hello! First of all, your "he" appears to be a "she". While its hard to be 100% sure until they are bred, I would definitely say female based on her body shape. In which case, that roundness would be normal. If she is having trouble with her hind legs and tail floating up, sometimes that can be from constipation. She appears very healthy otherwise so as long as she is eating and isn't showing signs of lethargy, I wouldn't be too worried at this point. Just keep a close eye on her and monitor her water parameters. My female tends to get a little extra "bloaty" looking this time of year, especially if we have a temperature drop since it's their natural breeding season.

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. I believe you are 100% correct, what you said about her being a female makes much more sense than her actually being bloated. I never even considered this possibility, was told she was a male and I never thought twice about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back