Axolotl cannot open his mouth?

Slavek22

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Hi, is there anybody who could help? My axolotl has not been eating for approximately one month. It seems like he cannot open his mouth. Is that possible? I usually feed him earthworms. He is 3 years old. Any advice, please? Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Slavek22

what are the water parameters ie... temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, kh if possible, gh if possible (could be important).
what is he normally fed?
are there any other body changes? ie.. bloating, going pale, swollen joints etc..
any changes in behaviour?

what are the water parameters ie... temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, kh if possible, gh if possible (could be important).
what is he normally fed?
are there any other body changes? ie.. bloating, going pale, swollen joints etc..
any changes in behaviour?
Hi, thank you for your response. Until now, I've only been monitoring the water temperature only, keeping it at 20 degrees. I haven't paid attention to ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, etc., but I will now look into these parameters. Regarding the body changes: he is very thin now, and his gills are smaller than before. The most important is, that he can't open its mouth. Is it possible that some disease could be causing this? He is normally fed earthworms.

Last edited:
reduce temperature to around 15°c if possible (ideal is 15°c - 18°c), is he able to open his mouth at all, if so try feeding bloodworm, brineshrimp etc..
ensure that the water has adequate oxygenation, may require using 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate depending on your kh gh results.
although it is possible for it to be an infection it is also possible for it to be a lack of minerals/vitamins.
if it is an infection daily baths in methyline blue mixed with acriflavine (both half fish dose mixed together 10-15mins), if it is a lack of minerals holtfreters will help (will also help with infection), a more varied diet will help with vitamins.

reduce temperature to around 15°c if possible (ideal is 15°c - 18°c), is he able to open his mouth at all, if so try feeding bloodworm, brineshrimp etc..
ensure that the water has adequate oxygenation, may require using 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate depending on your kh gh results.
although it is possible for it to be an infection it is also possible for it to be a lack of minerals/vitamins.
if it is an infection daily baths in methyline blue mixed with acriflavine (both half fish dose mixed together 10-15mins), if it is a lack of minerals holtfreters will help (will also help with infection), a more varied diet will help with vitamins.
Thanks wery much 👍

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back