Axolotl Eggs

LolaAndDani27

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hello.

Approximately 36 hours ago my female Wild Type axolotl laid her first eggs with one of our male Leucistics . I have about 50 eggs now in a separate tank. The eggs are white at the bottom and brown at the top. However, I came home from work today and some of them had a white dot on the top of their black, I was just wondering if they were still alive and if all was normal .... Some of the eggs have also turned a little white with weird black markings, is that normal as well...

We live in New Zealand and we don't have a heater in the tank yet as we were not expecting any eggs so the heater should arrive in 3 days - would the eggs be fine in tap water conditions....

Any answers are greatly appreciated as I would love for these baby axolotls to survive!!!

You've given quite a variety of description for the eggs, could you post some images to make it easier?

You want to use dechlorinator on the tap water, use a brand like Tetra, or Fluval, these will remove metal toxins as well as chlorine and chloramines. Water Conditioner | A8342 | Water Care | Fluval

The heater isn't really needed, unless you want to speed up the time it takes for the eggs to develop and then hatch.

I've raised all mine without a heater with no issue!

Read this link regarding larvae and rearing: Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

Thank you for your reply. I have a few photos but they are not the best of quality as they are from my iPhone.

2ekn485.jpg

919xc3.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back