Axolotl feeding (pellets)

keynewt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a breeding pair of axolotls that have gotten a bit particular about eating. I have had a lot of axolotls and I have never had a picky eater. Every other axolotl, including the offspring of the pair in question has always eaten well for me.
I feed my axolotls worms, pellets, grass shrimp, and blackworms. I mix up the feeding schedule so they get a good diverse diet of live and processed foods which they seem to eat with no problem. For years I have never run into a picky eater. This particular pair are my good breeders so once I bought them "HIKARI sinking carnivore pellets". They are expensive little bags of treats but now it is pretty much all they eat. Before they would eat the same as the rest of my pets but now they just spit up the worms and let the other pellets go uneaten.
I tried a little fasting to see if they would go back on their feed but it did not work. Any ideas out there?????

How long was there "fast" ? And just as an idea maybe leave a dozen grass shrimp an there and fast them for a week or more . I'm sure they will get hungry enough to go after live food again then try introducing worms and such. This is just an idea I have not had this problem so have not tried it . Maybe some very small minnows as we'll so you can keep track of the feeders and tell if they have eaten them easily

Mine were hesitant to go back to less "tasty" foods when I fed heavily with the Hikari carnivore as well. If you persist, they will eat other foods- they just need to get hungry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back