Illness/Sickness: Axolotl has been dealing with a swollen cloaca since August, any idea what's going on?

kaltevuus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

So in August I went on vacation and had someone watch my axolotl, however the tank's cycle crashed and I noticed that his cloaca was swollen. I did get the cycle back up and running, and I took Tom to the vet to address the swelling. I was told that it wasn't a prolapse and there were no signs of impaction (had an X-ray done). What they did notice was that his bones were underdeveloped, which could've made Tom unable to retract his cloaca.

I started him on a nightcrawler only diet to give him more calcium, which could help solve the cloaca issue, but it's been nearly 3 months and I haven't noticed any changes.

He's acting completely fine, he wants to eat literally all the time and has no issues doing so (I feed him every other day). And he also poops about once to twice a week. I change his water about 50% every other day. His parameters today (before today's water change) are:

Ammonia: 0 to .25 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5.0 ppm
PH: 7.4
Temp: 59 to 60 F

Is there anything else I can do?

Attachments

• Selected photo.jpg
    Selected photo.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 279
use 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate, see here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
worms can be a good source of calcium provided the soil they reside in contains calcium but they don't contain all essential vitamins required (mainly vitamin A), feed a balanced diet

use 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate, see here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
worms can be a good source of calcium provided the soil they reside in contains calcium but they don't contain all essential vitamins required (mainly vitamin A), feed a balanced diet
Okay! Would this be a solution that I could make at home or should I purchase it from somewhere?

the solution is normally made at home but the ingredients would need to be brought, 50% holtfreters is.. 1.75g/l non-iodised salt, 0.05g/l calcium chloride, 0.1g/l bicarbonate soda (baking soda), 0.025g/l potassium chloride, plus 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate (epsom salts).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back