Axolotl red and peeling

Justanotheraxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I am a welder from the USA I have 1 Lucy type axalotl, a water dog and 4 California striped salamanders. They were previously all in the same 75 gallon tank, and there were no issues for 2 months but then one day the Lucy started to float her back end but I resolved that as just an air bubble but she alsostarted peeling and becoming red and her tail started to curl. I noticed that the tank spiked up to around 75 so I immediately took her out and began to read about to how to help her and I have given her 1 salt bath so far and do 100% water changes in the tub of dechlorinated water she currently is in daily and the temperature is at 60-65f. She also isn’t eating, normally I drop some blood worms in and as soon as she finds them she gobbles them up. I’m very worried about her so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am new to axolotls as mine is only 3 months old, but here is my advice. Was the spike you mentioned ammonia or nitrite? I thought redness and peeling was a result of ammonia burn, I would try to preform a tea bath to soothe the skin, I would not do a salt bath unless there is a fungal or bacterial infection as it can further irritate the skin. Salt baths can be really tough on them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back