Axolotl won’t eat

Vienna

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I got an axolotl about 6 days ago and I’ve had some trouble feeding her. I know that she is still getting used to the tank but nothing I really do seems to work. Everywhere I research it seems like people axolotls go to the food, or take it ect. But mine doesn’t, she had a pellet which I got her to have by nipping my finger and replacing it with food but that hasn’t worked since. I tried some frozen axolotl food and she stuck her whole head in the bowl and didn’t eat any, and I left it for a while so she felt comfortable getting it herself. But instead I had to take it out and change the water (20-30%) so I don’t risk ammonia poisoning. Water parameters are fine, and I’ve been keeping the water at about 17-18 degrees Celsius. I’m not sure if she doesn’t like her environment, and if this could be a factor? I got two hides and plants (real and fake) however she doesn’t use the hides, one is a bit to small (I got before I got her) and the other is a wide pot planter thingy, which is not ideal since it’s not very deep. But even with this she digs under the pot planter, and is there almost all the time except for night. I minimise light with just natural light during the day. I can’t go and get any hides since it’s covid lockdown atm.

I would try bloodworms. I currently can’t get my axolotls to eat pellets or larger worms. If it is a baby you could also try brine shrimp.

Bloodworms work temporarily, but they're basically junk food. I would definitely recommend using live food (since she seemed to respond to your finger), ideally European or Canadian nightcrawlers. You can cut them into smaller pieces to be manageable for most axolotl sizes.

I got an axolotl about 6 days ago and I’ve had some trouble feeding her. I know that she is still getting used to the tank but nothing I really do seems to work. Everywhere I research it seems like people axolotls go to the food, or take it ect. But mine doesn’t, she had a pellet which I got her to have by nipping my finger and replacing it with food but that hasn’t worked since. I tried some frozen axolotl food and she stuck her whole head in the bowl and didn’t eat any, and I left it for a while so she felt comfortable getting it herself. But instead I had to take it out and change the water (20-30%) so I don’t risk ammonia poisoning. Water parameters are fine, and I’ve been keeping the water at about 17-18 degrees Celsius. I’m not sure if she doesn’t like her environment, and if this could be a factor? I got two hides and plants (real and fake) however she doesn’t use the hides, one is a bit to small (I got before I got her) and the other is a wide pot planter thingy, which is not ideal since it’s not very deep. But even with this she digs under the pot planter, and is there almost all the time except for night. I minimise light with just natural light during the day. I can’t go and get any hides since it’s covid lockdown atm.
You never know it could be eating them of the floor when your not there.
Look above your axolotl and if it's head is a bit bigger than the widest part of its torso it's an ok weight if it's skinny then it's not eating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back