Axolotol diarrhea

Faroohii

Reaction score
Country
Iran
Hey there
It's been months and my axi has diarrhea
She looks fine and health and dhe ears well. I've tried every food and special pallets for her but no luck. Some people suggested some metronidazole in her water. I have metronidazole 250. I have quarantined her in a smaller tank about 30 litres water to use this medication. I have dissolved half of the metronidazole in her water. And I will change the water daily after 8 to 12 hours after adding medication. How many days is it safe to do so?5 days or 10?
After finishing metronidazole, Should I feed her some probiotics?how can I add this powder in her food? Is there an easy way? Maybe with some gelatin powder?

what foods have you tried, unlike land animals axolotls digestive tract doesn't remove liquid from the fecal matter before expelling it, you might need to try something more solid like earthworms if you are wanting more substantial faeces.

what foods have you tried, unlike land animals axolotls digestive tract doesn't remove liquid from the fecal matter before expelling it, you might need to try something more solid like earthworms if you are wanting more substantial faeces.
I have fed her earthworms and milworm and shrimps also pallets . I need the exact time that can be safe using metronidazole for her...how many days with half of metronidazole 250 in 30 litres.

Last edited:
I have fed her earthworms and milworm and shrimps also pallets . I need the exact time that can be safe using metronidazole for her...how many days with half of metronidazole 250 in 30 litres.
Also she stopped eating earthworms. She would spit the earthworms immediately even if I cut them for her....she doesn't like them. There are also mamy threads saying superworm are hard to swallow but I crush their heads and cut the. she loves eating them... what I mean is I tried everything to stop her from diarrhea even with solid diet....but no luck

the only dosage I can find is 10 mg/litre bath 24hr for chronic diarrhea in amphibians

10ml is too much....I have found 1 gram for 75 litr... thanks anyway... anybody else can help 😢

it's 10mg not 10ml, 10ml would be way too much, in Blackwells p364 the treatment is "Metronidazole baths at 500 mg/l for 15–30 minutes every 5 days or 6.6 mg/l for 8 hours for more sensitive species", in Madders p1212, p1214/1215 treatment of any aquatic species 50mg/L 24hr, this medication is given to aquatic species of amphibian as treatment for anaerobic bacteria and parasites as it is questionable as to what denotes as diarrhea in an aquatic species.
as stated in Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry "With aquatic amphibians it may be difficult to dose metronidazole precisely. A topical bath of 50 mgIL for up to 24h has been used empirically"

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back