Beautiful colouration

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
I also recently bought this little beauty. I'm not sure what colour he would be classed as. Originally at the fish shop he looked like an Australian copper (mustardy with purpley spots), but when I took him home he looked more like a very green wildtype. None the less, I absolutely adore this little one already.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 398
  • unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 343
Wow Hayley I love the colour.
Its very different to my coppers. To me it looks like a Stunning green more than a copper but Im still only learning my colours. Awesome find I would have loved to have added this to my collection :happy:

Thank you! & I agree he looked nothing like a copper now, must have been the lighting in the fish store. I was pretty excited about having a potential copper (I bought him within 2 minutes of stumbling across the axolotl section :lol:) but when I put him in my tank and the lights came on it looked like a very different colour! When the lights aren't on he looks more mustardy. I just hope he doesn't darken up like most wildtypes. Fingers crossed :)

He's gorgeous! Definately not a copper though - his eyes are black rather than red.
Looks like a very nice pale green wildtype though.

To find out if he is a cooper u need to shine a tourch into / over his eyes and if they shine a dark red then he is a cooper, they don't look red to the naked eye. I have had quiet a few I bred look exactly like this. The inner eye will appear to be a darkish red that will sort of shine in the light if he is a cooper, u could also take a photo of him with a flash and the red will show up then also, but try not to expose him to any lights that are excessively bright as they do cause stress due to the fact they dont have eye lids and can't close their eyes to stop the brightness that they are very sensitive to, I suggest u expose him to the light by slowly putting it closer to his eyes from a distance at first and not to do this for to long, and only for clarification on his colour/morph type. Ether way he is beautiful :)

Thanks Bette :) Look at the iridophores on his tail :love:

The more I look at him the more confused I get, comparing it to my other wildtypes.

When I look at his eye it looks like a normal wild type, but when I shine a light into it, it is slightly reddish brown. If I take a photo from whatever angle, it reflects red like an albinos eyes. When I do the same to my other wild types it doesn't shine back red. Opinions?

Also whilst lurking on Caudata I found this;
Coppers from Europe ( which the US has) have pink eyes, those from Australia are non albino. They are different , though they share the same name.

Can anyone else with an Australian Copper confirm this because now I'm just confused!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 258
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 279
  • unnamed5.jpg
    unnamed5.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 284
Shots of the reflection in the eye

Attachments

• unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 281
  • unnamed3.jpg
    unnamed3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 247
  • unnamed4.jpg
    unnamed4.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 236
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back