Question: Best plants for axolotl tank?

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
WaterLily05
Hi y'all! I've got a 40 gallon breeder tank (36x18x16) for my 3 axolotls. I currently have some amazon sword, java fern, anubias, and vals doing well in the tank, but I am looking for more variety. Of course an axolotl tank is very low light and coldwater. I am looking at anacharis. Does anyone know of anything else that would do well?

I currently have some amazon sword, java fern, anubias, and vals doing well in the tank, but I am looking for more variety.
What is your aim ?

If you're only looking for more variety, a lot of cold or temperate water can thrive in an axolotl aquarium.
I have Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae, Alternanthera reineckii, Bacopa caroliniana in mine.

If you're looking for rapid growing plants to manage ammonia and/or nitrates, consider Egeria densa, Ceratophyllum demersum, Salvinia (I have also some).

Of course an axolotl tank is very low light and coldwater.
Ok for coldwater but very low light is a misconception.
If you have a good light and a lot of live plants, the plants will thrive well (good for axolotls wellfare) and provide some shade to the axolotls.

What is your aim ?
I want a bit more variety. I do 50% water changes every other week with weekly top offs and my tank is cycled, so I am not needing something to manage the water parameters or anything.
If you're only looking for more variety, a lot of cold or temperate water can thrive in an axolotl aquarium.
I have Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae, Alternanthera reineckii, Bacopa caroliniana in mine.

If you're looking for rapid growing plants to manage ammonia and/or nitrates, consider Egeria densa, Ceratophyllum demersum, Salvinia (I have also some).
Ooooooooo thank you very much! The tank is at a chilly 64 degrees F pretty consistently.
Ok for coldwater but very low light is a misconception.
If you have a good light and a lot of live plants, the plants will thrive well (good for axolotls wellfare) and provide some shade to the axolotls.
True. I don't have a light on my tank right now, but have definitely been feeling like one would be nice. It can be so hard to see sometimes! How bright is it alright to go in an axolotl tank?

A fluorescent lighting of about 1 W for 2 liters is enough in most cases.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back