Question: Best species for this tank setup?

AKValkyrie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I am a newbie, I've never kept salamanders or newts, but one of my kids wanted fish and the other wanted a lizard, and I didn't want to mess with two tanks. After some research it sounded like I could make both happy with one tank with mountain minnows and a newt. Being a plant lover as well I fell in love with the idea of a vivarium and may have got a little carried away with one of those DIY 3D foam backgrounds. Now I'm just waiting on some filter components to arrive to finish my tank (no, the under gravel in my pic isn't staying, I'm setting up a canister with spray bar pointed at the wall to avoid a strong currant) so I was trying to figure out which species of newt to buy.

My tank setup has a lot of climbing area as far as ledges and such, but that bottom portion I intend to fill with water, the skull is also going to be a low-flow water fall and I intend to do lots of plants/moss/etc. I wasn't aware different newt species preferred different habitats as far as aquatic, semi-aquatic, terrestrial and I can't even seem to find a list anywhere of which are which.

So as opposed to a lot of reading and a guess, I thought I'd ask here. What species would be happiest and make the most of a tank like this? Thanks in advance :)

tank1.jpg

HOw many gallons is it? I think most newt species would be OK with that set up.

It's a good sized tank, 40 gallon long (48" x 12" x 16")

That's a great size! I think your options are limited only by what you can find.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back