Bought axolotl with not enough research

axolotle42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I a bad owner?
Hi so I would just like some opinions thoughts on this cause I am worried and am a bad owner and didn't do enough research and rushed into getting an axolotl. I would like totally honestly please.
So about 10 months ago I heard about axolotls an I thought they were so cute and lovely and so I did some generally research on them and found out they could be kept as pets and were also from México which made me really want one because I am very interested in México.

I research for about 3 month on care and stuff and I can't fully remember where and what I was looking at but I think I managed to look in all the wrong places (I didn't know about caudata and stuff). My general thoughts were the following: min 10 gallon, I did not know about cycling tanks, they could eat worms/pellets, kept alone, no gravel, coldish water, didn't like light and would live about 10-15 years and were relatively easy to maintain.

I then went to a pet shop and instantly fell in love with one they had but was a bit skeptical about the pet shops care (they had three in a tank i didn't think was large enough) but the guy seemed fairly knowledgeable and i was unsure where else i could purchase one. I then went to a diffrent pet shop and bought a 12½ UK gallon tank with a filter that came with it and nitrite an pH test kit and dechlorinator and the people "explained" how to set everything up and that we had the right things (and the other shop said the same). They only told me i needed to to put some tank starter stuff in and then leave the tank for about a week and then it would be ready, so I did just that.
I then went to the place with the axolotl and they tested my water and told me it was OK and I brought him home. Later on I found caudata and other peopes experiences and found out all my mistakes and I felt horrible that I would do this and not research thoroughly enough.

Ive spent months now correcting my mistakes (new tank, filter, test kits, water changes everyday for weeks etc) and everything seems good now and he has rarely been stressed. (recently he has had unrelated fungus but j have a vet and he is being treated)

Ive learnt so much from this but I feel terrible and stupid for believing the mis information and not knowing enough. Especially since I dont like it when others do little research on more mainstream animals like dogs and stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you for reading, sorry for the length :).

Hi, I’m new here. Can I ask what problems you’re having? I don’t see that you actually say that in your message.

Hi, I’m new here. Can I ask what problems you’re having? I don’t see that you actually say that in your message.
I'm not having a problem I was just wanting to see if anyone had had a similar experience or if people thought I had rushed into getting one.
But thank you for replying

I'm not having a problem I was just wanting to see if anyone had had a similar experience or if people thought I had rushed into getting one.
But thank you for replying
I wouldn’t beat yourself up! I have found it very common that pet shop owners/employees are more interested in the sale then the care of their animals. When you got him/her you should have been told the basic requirements by the sellers not expected to know. To me it sounds like you are a very good pet owner and care a lot about your buddy!

Oh good! I thought I had misunderstood your concern. It seems to me like you did quite a bit of research. More than most people honestly. I find them to be very easy to take care of if you understand the basics, but I’ve been keeping tropical fish and aquatics for many years. Good luck!

Everybody has to start somewhere, some of us, like you and I, don’t always start in the right place but we learn and we grow in the hobby and that’s the beauty of it. When I first got into keeping aquariums, I kept a betta in a 1 gallon bowl. She got sick again and again and eventually died because of inadequate care on my part. I learned, I improved, and I do better now. My aquariums are healthy and my fish and axolotls are thriving.
41711134-8B4F-4CB2-9A86-F377DC79C3E4.jpeg
4FEE0B52-78EC-4078-A652-7C2C3080C395.png
1FB56EA6-9944-415A-BCBA-C0A32309F577.jpeg
E16E5F8D-3748-402D-A7A3-FD09332035A9.jpeg

Ok thank you everyone! It's made me feel a lot better! :)

Everybody has to start somewhere, some of us, like you and I, don’t always start in the right place but we learn and we grow in the hobby and that’s the beauty of it. When I first got into keeping aquariums, I kept a betta in a 1 gallon bowl. She got sick again and again and eventually died because of inadequate care on my part. I learned, I improved, and I do better now. My aquariums are healthy and my fish and axolotls are thriving.View attachment 91503View attachment 91502View attachment 91500View attachment 91499
Thank you! and your axolotls are gorgeous!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back