Breeding my axolotl

bubbas5kids

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone help my wife and I, we are trying to breed our wild type storm fly with our male valcor. It seems he doesn't want any thing to do with her any one have suggestions for us.

Attachments

• 20160313_212234.jpg
    20160313_212234.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 20160313_212157.jpg
    20160313_212157.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 106
I don't have experience breeding axolotls but it would be good to check water quality as a first step. Is your tank cycled? Have you checked the parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature?

Not related to your question but I notice in the photos you have the little glass/plastic stones. These are pretty but unfortunately are hazardous to have in an axolotl tank. They pose a risk of the axolotl swallowing them and becoming impacted as they are not able to pass the stone. This can be fatal. I would recommend removing them.

I don't know of anything you can really do besides making sure the condition are correct so checking water quality is a good first step. Others here may have some further advice.

Also, how old are your axolotls?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back