Brown Algae?

QueenKris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tonight i noticed a brown clump of what looked like dirt or poo in my axies tank. Ive never seen or even heard of brown algae until i did some research but i still couldnt find anything quite like what this looked like. I should've taken a picture in case but i was so worried about removing anything harmful i didnt get the chance. I did a water change and cleaned the filter and hide as well. I removed whatever this thing is and it was a bit tough because it stuck to the glass. (I have a bare bottom tank). It was also right under the filter so i made sure to clean it good. Can anyone help give me an idea of what this thing could be? And if it is brown algae what should i know and is it common?

Hi,
Brown algae are common in young tanks or in case of low light. they are not harmful.
Algae in general can be successfully challenged by live fast-growing plants with a decent light (daylight or artificial light).
With a bare bottom tank, I suppose you have no live plants ?

Hi,
Brown algae are common in young tanks or in case of low light. they are not harmful.
Algae in general can be successfully challenged by live fast-growing plants with a decent light (daylight or artificial light).
With a bare bottom tank, I suppose you have no live plants ?
No i do not have any plants in there as of now but i do want to get some if u can recommend any. My axie is a little over a year old and he gets natural light but not too much as i know their eyes are sensitive.

If you want to keep your tank bare bottom, you can add aquatic plants like hornwort (Ceratophyllum), which does not have roots.
Else Egeria densa usually grows well without a soil. I have both in my aquariums.

As for eye sensitiveness, you can have a strong light if you have a lot of these plants, so that they create shady zones, and this would be benefic for water quality.

I would recommend java fern which is attached to like a log or something. You can sometimes buy them from local pet stores.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back