Can I have help with my axolotls

The triplets

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My axolotls live in a large tank together, everything was going super easy. Lately they aren’t acting are normal as usual. Their ph, nitrates and all that haven’t changed. Their tank was cleaned and I don’t think that’s a problem but we’ll I’m not sure.

I have rescues, they took a little to warm up to their new home but quickly becoming happy eaters, eating everything in front of them. Lately though their strikes have been weaker and less accurate then normal and they aren’t eating as much. Normally they will each 1- 1 1/2 worms each but now I’m lucky if they eat anything. I am getting concerned since white is appearing on my black acolotl. Mainly on his limbs and their now becoming pinkish.

The last photos the worst looking foot.
My axolotls live in a large tank together, everything was going super easy. Lately they aren’t acting are normal as usual. Their ph, nitrates and all that haven’t changed. Their tank was cleaned and I don’t think that’s a problem but we’ll I’m not sure.

I have rescues, they took a little to warm up to their new home but quickly becoming happy eaters, eating everything in front of them. Lately though their strikes have been weaker and less accurate then normal and they aren’t eating as much. Normally they will each 1- 1 1/2 worms each but now I’m lucky if they eat anything. I am getting concerned since white is appearing on my black acolotl. Mainly on his limbs and their now becoming pinkish.

The last photos the worst looking foot.

Attachments​

• image.jpg

• image.jpg

• image.jpg

what are your full water parameters ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kh, gh.
your injured axolotl will need to be bathed daily in methylene blue combined with acriflavine (these cannot be done in tank as it will damage the biological filtration)
use 100% holtfreters + 0.2g/l for the whole tank (100% holtfreters is for medical where as 50% is preventative) after one week a 50% water change can be done to reduce the levels to 50%.
the digits/limb will start to regress as the limb/digits gets repaired/replaced, if the affected limb doesn't start healing a vet trip may be required for possible amputation (there are some infections that prevent normal healing)
feed a balanced diet, worms are good as a food source but don't contain all the vitamins required, feed eyed food as well ie.. fish, shrimp, mysis, krill etc.. which contain vitamin A (symptom of vitamin A deficiency is a failure to thrive in amphibians, as well as eye problems and short tongue syndrome in terrestrial salamanders).

The temperature is 68.7. Their no3 is around 15mg/l. Their chlorine and no2 is 0. Their gh is 75mg/l. Kh is 80mg/l. Ph is 7.2. Their levels haven’t changed much since I got them.

They eat red wiggles i breed for he majority of diet, blood worms once a month cause I heard they had too much protein to get regularly and fish (tilapia) a couple times a month. I’ll get that supplies you listed

Attachments

• 06B51777-8FD8-4B55-9C56-922A241389B0.jpeg
    06B51777-8FD8-4B55-9C56-922A241389B0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
you need to test with a freshwater liquid tests rather than stick tests due to accuracy and also because ammonia needs to be tested.
your temperature is high, ideal are 59°f - 64.4°f (closer to 59°f being better), your ph slightly low at 7.2, ideal is 7.4-7.6, ph has an effect on how quickly ammonium is broken down with low ph being the main cause of cycle crash (old tank syndrome) in established tanks., your gh is bad at 4° (75mg/l) for axolotls gh is ideal at 7°-14° (124.3mg/l - 250.6mg/l), your kh is low but within range, ideal being 3° - 8° (53.7mg/l - 143.2mg/l), kh helps to buffer the ph and prevent drops/swings, even though your nitrate is 15mg/l (just under 15ppm) the stick test can be significantly different to a liquid test (normal turns out that the nitrates are higher) the same applies to nitrites sometime the stick tests aren't sensitive enough.
axolotls are slight brackish (although the salinity level is quite low and falls within the freshwater bracket) moderate/hard water animals, use holtfreters solution + magnesium sulphate to provide the required salts/minerals (100% + 0.2g/l magnesium suphate as a treatment, 50% + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate to correct water salt/mineral level and to help prevent issues axolotl are prone to)
holtfreters info.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Ok. So, the holtfreters soluion will help the GH or KH or both? I didn’t know that about the stick test and will get a better one.

Also is there a way to increase ph then or decrease the nitrate levels. Cause I have tried almost everything but getting plants to lower them.

Last edited:
holtfreters solution + magnesium sulphate will improve kh, gh and ph.
water changes are the easiest way of reducing nitrates.

Hey is there a chance that the acolotls may not like their worms. I used to feed them the ones from pet smart but started breeding my own because they where too expensive

it is possible.
axolotls have been found to not like bitter tasting things and have a "sweet tooth"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back