Illness/Sickness: Can I use methylene blue?

Spartacus

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Sarah
My axolotl Hephaestion has fallen ill, from what is probably an infection or something internal.
He hasn't eaten for about two weeks, maybe more, and is brightly coloured and veiny, even when resting. I know about axolotl colouration changes due to light/activity etc but this is different. His veins are visible all over his body, and his tail and gills are very red, all the time.
His gills are turned forward, but nothing else is visibly wrong with him. No bloating, no injuries. Although his eyes look a bit odd, hard to explain but the skin seems different than before and perhaps slightly bulgier, but I doubt it's noticeable to anyone but me.
He's been in a separate container for the last week, and it's fairly cold here, so haven't fridged him, as space is limited. I have some Indian Almond Leaves coming, but because of public holidays, I may not get it until well into next week. I don't know if he will make it.

Can I try methylene blue? I'm not 100% sure what it is used for other than fungal things, or how it is used. He's in a 7L container, about half full. Can I put it in there, adding some each day with the water change, or give him a wee bath in another container?

Tank set-up and water parameters were all as they should be when he was in there.

You shouldn't treatan axie with chemicals or medication unless you know what is wrong.
Can you post a picture of your axie. What you're describing could be a number of thing - water quality, temperature, infection or other illness.
What are your water parameters, temp and tank conditions?

Speaking as a fish keeper, methylene blue is used to treat ammonia poisoning, and has mild anti-fungal and mild anti-bacterial properties. I have never used it on my amphibians. It is considered pretty low risk for fish-can be used even on scaleless fish, and in my experience did no harm to invertebrates, either. Lots of fish keepers use it routinely on eggs to discourage fungus. I would do some research or talk to a vet about safety and dosage before trying it on an axolotl.

Oops! Didn't realize I was in a forum full of fish haters. :eek: OP asked what methylene blue was used for, and I was trying to answer the question. I was not advocating for or against its use, just trying to inform. I felt it would be valuable to share its applications in ammonia and nitrite poisoning, as it seems water quality issues and a poor understanding of the nitrogen cycle are fairly prevalent in inexperienced keepers, and caudata culture lists it as a safe medication for use in salamanders in appropriate doses. As I'm sure you know, nitrite and ammonia poisoning is due to its ability to bond hemoglobin in the blood, preventing it from carrying oxygen, and resulting ultimately in suffocation. This is true of all animals with a hemoglobin based blood system, including fish, amphibians, and us. Methylene blue at appropriate doses can reverse this reaction, improving chances of recovery. You can search for methylene blue and Methemoglobinemia for more info. Seems like a good thing to know, that's all. I agree that you shouldn't try to treat an animal without veterinary guidance if you don't know what's wrong. Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to do anything other than promote education. Wasn't trying to offend.

Water parameters were all fine except pH was a bit off the usual 7. I did some water changes, the other axies were all fine but he didn't look any happier so out he came. The pictures I have aren't very clear, because my camera makes it look duller and less visible than it is, so I don't think are very helpful, but I'll add them anyway.
tumblr_n4hbz5HPe41rdilhwo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n4hbz5HPe41rdilhwo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n4hbz5HPe41rdilhwo3_500.jpg

The veins area lot more visible and numerous all over his head, and his eye looks odd.

@rachel1 I was not having a moan at you personally, but a lot of people think that fish and axies can be treated the same way - and they can't. I am not a 'fish hater', I also keep fish.

I know that methylene blue is safe for axies, I know the dose to use and it's applications, and I understand the chemistry. But I am not going to tell someone to use it without a reasonable diagnosis - and that is what I was trying to get to the bottom of.

If it is a case of water quality issues or high temperature fixing the problem would be more appropriate that medicating. If it's a systemic infection the antibiotics would be better.

@Spartacus - it looks like water quality irritation - can you please post your parameters and temparature instead of saying 'its fine'? A low pH could mean something is off - have you tested your tap water? If it is water quality it will take a while for your axie to recover even if you solve the problem.

The eyes don't look too abnormal, but if they axie is stressed it could just be another symptom. Are the eyes cloudy at all?

Argh, this forum has been out all day, just when I need help!
Temperature is 16 degrees celsius.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0 or 0.1
Nitrates - This one's colour is hard to read for sure, but it's somewhere between 5-20 mg/L, and 40 and under is fine? I always just aim to keep it in one of three colour boxes between 5-20.
I can't find the pH sheet to double check, but I think it was about 6.4, which is getting too low right? It's normally at a steady seven, and because the rest of the parameters were fine, I forgot to check it as soon as my axy got visibly ill. However, I did a water change that day anyway, and have been monitoring since then.

If this is the cause, what's the best course of action? Continue as I am, are the almond leaves a suitable treatment when they arrive?
He isn't looking any worse in his container, but he isn't looking any better either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back