cause of peninsula newt death?

batboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time newt owner (previously kept fish), came home yesterday to find one of my peninsula newt duo deceased. Hoping to determine it cause of death is something I can correct, to ensure the health of the remaining newt.
I purchased the pair ~3 weeks ago from a local fish shop. Been feeding them dried bloodworms and tubifex worms, both of them have accepted the food. Checked water parameters, pH and ammonia are fine (plus, they've had weekly water changes). Main concern is, water temp is 77 F, which is above the recommended range for eastern newts (my thought process being, as the most southern subspecies, slightly higher temperatures would be acceptable? Was this a highly incorrect assumption????). Tank is 20 gallon, filled halfway with water, with sponge filter, horn wort plant cluster, and floating driftwood.

Attached are photos (corpse removed to a cup)

Attachments

• image1(16).jpeg
    image1(16).jpeg
    900.4 KB · Views: 450
  • image0(39).jpeg
    image0(39).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
I'm guessing temperature may have caused overheating but difficult to say without an autopsy. Sorry for your loss 😔🙏

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back