egg-crate aquarium lid

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ren
hello friends,
today i made an aquarium lid for my 20gal long axolotl tank. i got the crates off of amazon for about 15USD, they arrived today and i was able to cut it to fit my tank near-perfectly. my only criticism is that the material is pretty difficult to cut- i had used a box cutter as well as some scissors and it was pretty difficult. from what i understand, wirecutters make the job much easier. ill post pictures below of what the lid looks like, and will probably update with new pictures once i have an exact fit.
i can also post the amazon link if requested :)

Attachments

• 20230318_142434.jpg
    20230318_142434.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 986
more pictures. the first is of a corner that fits perfectly, the second shows the gap i cut for the light, and the third showcases the most important feature- my pothos cuttings suspended in the water.

Attachments

• 20230318_153054.jpg
    20230318_153054.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230318_153111.jpg
    20230318_153111.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 84
  • 20230318_153125.jpg
    20230318_153125.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 83
to cut that type of plastic garden plant cutters are easiest to use, due to the force required by using cutters the plastic does have a habit of flying off though, for neatness using box cutters, scalpels or rotary tool is best, also plastic grill used for modding cars can be brought cheaply although it mainly comes in black.

to cut that type of plastic garden plant cutters are easiest to use, due to the force required by using cutters the plastic does have a habit of flying off though, for neatness using box cutters, scalpels or rotary tool is best, also plastic grill used for modding cars can be brought cheaply although it mainly comes in black.
thank you for the suggestion! i have quite the plant addiction, so i'm sure i have some pruning tools around somewhere. i used sandpaper to help grind down and edges i had.

updated pictures of the perfect fit. i trimmed back some of the corners to make room for the tubing, as it was a complicated mess to have it strung though the holes themselves (imagine having to disconnect the tubing from the pump every time you had to remove the lid, very annoying.) im quite proud of how this turned out, and mudkip seems to tolerate it as well.

Attachments

• 20230320_155404.jpg
    20230320_155404.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 107
  • 20230320_155417.jpg
    20230320_155417.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 109
  • 20230320_155424.jpg
    20230320_155424.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 105
I have a kinda dumb question but, how do you remove the lid :confused:? I have been looking to grow pothos or somthin in my lotl tank, but i have never figured out how i can make it so that i can take of the lid?

I have a kinda dumb question but, how do you remove the lid :confused:? I have been looking to grow pothos or somthin in my lotl tank, but i have never figured out how i can make it so that i can take of the lid?
not dumb at all! it's pressed into the sides of the tank, but it isn't impossible to remove by any means. i can PM a vid of me doing it. I also have two 1-inch squares cut open in the back for tubing, so that's what i usually grab from

Yeah that would be good if you could pm me a vid

and can you pm a video? i wanna do this to my tank haha. it’s a really good idea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back