Fridge for high temps

SamAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
We're about to have some very warm days in the upcoming week(s), looking at 95F this week and probably similar temps next week. My axie is in a room with no AC but I keep his water cool with ice, fans etc. however, I'm not going to be home enough to constantly change ice to keep the water cool in this heat and I don't want him to overheat. I am able to fridge him on very hot days
I know there are fridging guides out there, but since this isn't for a medical emergency or condition, I'm wondering what the proper steps are in this scenario.
1: do I feed him while he's fridged? if so, how often?
2: how much water should he be in?
3: how much acclimating is needed when going from fridge to tank (and vise versa)? for example, if we have a few cooler days where he can be in his tank, is it safe for me to just have him slowly adjust temp and put him back in there (with the possibility of him having to be fridged again within a few days)?
4: what kind of container should I put him in? I know he'll slow down in the fridge, but since he's not sick or anything, I'm wondering if he needs much space to move around a bit.
I'm hoping these next two weeks will be about as hot as it gets before it starts to even out and cool down so I can keep his tank cooler again
I want him to have as little stress as possible so he can stay happy and healthy. any tips would be wonderful! thanks!

there are a couple of issues with fridging, 1. unless the fridge is used solely for the axolotl the temperature can be too cold and can cause the axolotls organs to shut down, fridging is always a last case for treating axolotls because of this issue, 2. whilst the axolotl is out of the tank the tank bacteria will still need to be fed to avoid crashing the nitrogen cycle. moving your axolotl continuously from warm to cold and back again can cause stress which can then lead to other issues.
temperature control is a major issue that people have with axolotls and is one of the most expensive to deal with. if you can invest in a chiller for the tank as it is the most stable means of controlling the tanks temperature. there are other means to keep the temperature down from using old fridge units, peltier coolers, fans, ice bottles, tank insulation.
there are plenty of guides on the internet to assist.

I have a new change of plans now; I've gotten the ok to keep him downstairs (where there is AC) for the next few days!
I so appreciate you always replying! it's incredibly helpful!

We're about to have some very warm days in the upcoming week(s), looking at 95F this week and probably similar temps next week. My axie is in a room with no AC but I keep his water cool with ice, fans etc. however, I'm not going to be home enough to constantly change ice to keep the water cool in this heat and I don't want him to overheat. I am able to fridge him on very hot days
I know there are fridging guides out there, but since this isn't for a medical emergency or condition, I'm wondering what the proper steps are in this scenario.
1: do I feed him while he's fridged? if so, how often?
2: how much water should he be in?
3: how much acclimating is needed when going from fridge to tank (and vise versa)? for example, if we have a few cooler days where he can be in his tank, is it safe for me to just have him slowly adjust temp and put him back in there (with the possibility of him having to be fridged again within a few days)?
4: what kind of container should I put him in? I know he'll slow down in the fridge, but since he's not sick or anything, I'm wondering if he needs much space to move around a bit.
I'm hoping these next two weeks will be about as hot as it gets before it starts to even out and cool down so I can keep his tank cooler again
I want him to have as little stress as possible so he can stay happy and healthy. any tips would be wonderful! thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220615_105419.jpg
    IMG_20220615_105419.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
I use two small fans from home bargains £2.99 each. They work off usb twin 5 volt charger put fans on a time switch 9 to 5 ? My ones are mounted on mecano metal straps with plastic mesh lid

Attachments

• IMG_20220615_105419~2.jpg
    IMG_20220615_105419~2.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 77
I use two small fans from home bargains £2.99 each. They work off usb twin 5 volt charger put fans on a time switch 9 to 5 ? My ones are mounted on mecano metal straps with plastic mesh lid
I do have a decent fan I use but since today was 95F (35 celsius) and I have no air conditioning in my room (my room is also about 95F) I'm not able to keep his tank anywhere near cool enough for him. for the next day or two he's just on the kitchen table downstairs in a small tank.

I do have a decent fan I use but since today was 95F (35 celsius) and I have no air conditioning in my room (my room is also about 95F) I'm not able to keep his tank anywhere near cool enough for him. for the next day or two he's just on the kitchen table downstairs in a small tank.
My fans are directly above the filter outlets this concentrates the cooler air on to the filter return water and also creates an increase in surface water area for oxygen exchange.The problem could be resolved buy purchasing an Aircon unit new/used and space heating //cooling the whole room ?

I use three different methods to keep the tank cool, 1.. insulation, I used polystyrene panels on the back and sides along with a lid to reduce temperature increase due to ambient room temperature, 2.. I have fans that blow across the water surface, 3.. I use an old fridge/freezer, coils of piping placed in a tub of water in the fridge compartment with the water pumped through the piping, I still use the freezer compartment for frozen axie food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back