Help I think I crashed my tank!

ToniEgan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there. My Axolotle just got moved from upstairs to the main floor so that we could keep his water cooler in the hot summer months. I did a 90% water change and cleaned his tank really well since we were doing the move. When I refilled it, the ammonia levels are crazy high. I left the filters in place to keep the good bacteria but I’m afraid that I crashed the tank. Does anyone know what I can do to speed up this process to get him safely back in his tank?

if he is tubbed right now and your tank was originally properly cycled (using the 4ppm method) then the easiest way is to refill the tank half way, have the filter on and an air-stone running, every time you do a water change with the tub, empty the waste water into the tank (if you would normally scoop the poop then you can sift the debris if you want as it's the ammonia being produced that is need, if waste etc.. is normally left till water change then sifting isn't required) once the ammonia and nitrites are zero for a few days and the nitrates are increasing do a water change (do not empty the tank more than half way) refill with water that is dechlorinated first.
using bottled bacteria will help and using a heater (the same as when cycling) will speed up the process.
as with cycling monitor the ph to make sure it doesn't drop, if it get to 7 use bicarbonate of soda to increase to 7.4-7.6

if he is tubbed right now and your tank was originally properly cycled (using the 4ppm method) then the easiest way is to refill the tank half way, have the filter on and an air-stone running, every time you do a water change with the tub, empty the waste water into the tank (if you would normally scoop the poop then you can sift the debris if you want as it's the ammonia being produced that is need, if waste etc.. is normally left till water change then sifting isn't required) once the ammonia and nitrites are zero for a few days and the nitrates are increasing do a water change (do not empty the tank more than half way) refill with water that is dechlorinated first.
using bottled bacteria will help and using a heater (the same as when cycling) will speed up the process.
as with cycling monitor the ph to make sure it doesn't drop, if it get to 7 use bicarbonate of soda to increase to 7.4-7.6
Heater?

So if I understand you correctly, I’m going to leave the tank half filled with the filter, running and the old cartridges in the filter to keep the good bacteria. When I change, tuna’s hospital tub, I dump that dirty water into the tank. Once the nitrates go up then and only then do I do a water change or do I do a water change every day? It’s been over a year since we cycled the tank and I don’t remember how we did it.

the waste water that is put in contains waste from your axolotl ie.. ammonia etc.. this will feed and rebuild the filters bacteria colony without putting your axolotl at risk from high nitrogen compound levels (ammonia and nitrites), once the ammonia and nitrites are consumed/converted to zero for a couple of days in a row (nitrates should rise) then a water change is done to reduce nitrates and the tank can be topped up so that it is ready for the reintroduction of your axolotl.
until both ammonia and nitrites are zero for a few days do not do a water change, water can be removed from the tank if there isn't any more room for waste water.

when cycling a tank it is always faster to warm the water up, this is because bacteria breeds and multiplies faster in a warm environment and ammonium (the base ammonia compound) breaks down to free ammonia faster in warmer water.
once cycling is finished the heater is removed and the water allowed to cool down (the water change will help cool the water as well)

when cycling a tank it is always faster to warm the water up, this is because bacteria breeds and multiplies faster in a warm environment and ammonium (the base ammonia compound) breaks down to free ammonia faster in warmer water.
once cycling is finished the heater is removed and the water allowed to cool down (the water change will help cool the water as well)
Thank you so very much this is incredibly helpful. Last question… do you have a recommendation for a bottled bacteria?

the bacteria most suitable would be pond bacteria (normally cheaper than tropical tank bacteria) as for brands I couldn't say as what is available where I am may not be available where you are, try seachem pond stability.

hi again...so it's been 10 days since I started trying to cycle ...using heater, pond bacteria, left the original filter in with good bacteria on it, no water changes, waste water from Tuna... there has been zero change to my tank. PH is high but under 8... am I being impatient or is this normal?

it takes a while for bacteria to reestablish themselves, is the ammonia increasing or staying at the same level?

it takes a while for bacteria to reestablish themselves, is the ammonia increasing or staying at the same level?
Staying the same. I was hoping since I had the filters it might not takes as long :(

unless the dead bacteria is washed out the new bacteria has to consume/remove the old bacteria whilst colonising the media, it will happen it just takes time.

so should i take out the old filter? maybe that's slowing it up?

if you remove the filter it will mean having to cycle from the begining which will take longer than letting the filtration refresh.

if you remove the filter it will mean having to cycle from the begining which will take longer than letting the filtration refresh.
Hello everyone. So it's been over 2 months since I crashed my Axolotl's tank (Tuna) and I have been trying desperately to get it cycles so I can return him to his tank. I've heated the water, added all Tuna's waste to the recycling tank, tested every day, added bacteria...was told by several people i was doing all the right things. Yesterday and the day before the Amonia was yellow, so today I put the chiller in, changed 1/3 water to get rid of Nitrates and hoped to get him back in. When I tested the water, it was hi PH (over 8) and the amonia was not green (.05) but not quite yellow. I'm so frustrated...is it ok to put him back in? Also, how do I lower the pH? Any help would be so incredibly appreciated. I didnt know I needed to be a water chemist to have one of these pets :(

there are a few ways to reduce ph, ph buffer.. this is a mix of chemicals that is sold at pet/fish shops etc.. ie.. ph up/down/neutral, adding an acid will reduce ph (steinbergs which is similar to holtfreters uses hydrochloric acid for this purpose), using tannins/black water will help reduce ph as will using peat balls in the tank/filter.
what is the ph in your tubs and tap, it may be that there is something in the tank that is raising the ph.
if your axolotl is used to the ph being at 8 then he should be fine.
although the ammonia is trace it should be fine and may just be a reaction to the fresh water and reduction in temperature, make sure that the nitrites are zero though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back