Help!! My axolotl is constipated/ impacted.

SophieG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Everyone, I have one sick axolotl and I need help. I have two Axolotls and à few months ago switch them to à salmon pellet diet. They seemed to be doing well and gaining weight. About a month ago I notice one of them was getting rounder and not much of an appetite. Im pretty sure this is constipation so I have been fridging him for two weeks now. He's doing ok and I notice from time to time some fluff or like debris in his tank.. he seems abit smaller in size but no poop yet. Im at a crossroads and not sure what to do anymore. I'm afraid to feed him because I don't want to worsen the problem. Do I keep fridging him? I think he's a little stressed... his tail is curled at the end. My other Axy is thriving with no issues.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Hi Everyone, I have one sick axolotl and I need help. I have two Axolotls and à few months ago switch them to à salmon pellet diet. They seemed to be doing well and gaining weight. About a month ago I notice one of them was getting rounder and not much of an appetite. Im pretty sure this is constipation so I have been fridging him for two weeks now. He's doing ok and I notice from time to time some fluff or like debris in his tank.. he seems abit smaller in size but no poop yet. Im at a crossroads and not sure what to do anymore. I'm afraid to feed him because I don't want to worsen the problem. Do I keep fridging him? I think he's a little stressed... his tail is curled at the end. My other Axy is thriving with no issues.

Thanks for your help and advice.
do you have a photo one that includes the legs as well as the torso.

I took some pictures of him. We ran into issues with water temp. Which caused His colour.. he was improving until now because of this.

Attachments

• 20220405_185814.jpg
    20220405_185814.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 584
  • 20220405_185830.jpg
    20220405_185830.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 213
are the salmon pellets hard?,
his/her legs aren't swollen so it's not fluid build up.
is he/she floating at all?
make sure that the water is changed every 24hrs, always dechlorinate the water before hand, scrub the tub clean every time the water is changed.
add 2g per litre marine salt (do not use salt for human consumption as any iodine is bad), 0.1g per litre epsom salts (magnesium sulphate), 0.05g per litre potassium chloride (you can use humic acid at 0.05g per litre instead but it will turn the water brown), 0.1g per litre calcium chloride, 0.2g per litre bicarbonate of soda (calcium carbonate can be used instead but it will cloud the water) if you do use calcium carbonate you don't need to add bicarbonate of soda. also get some almond/catappa leaves and put one in with him.
the ingredients make a modified holfreters solution which needs to be used every water change.
soak the pellets before feeding, never give them hard pellets as they will swell up.
make sure the water covers him/her but not enough to take its feet of the floor.
make sure there's a air-stone in the water.
any dechlorinator will do just don't use any that are stress relief as the contents can affect the axolotls gills.
make sure he/she is kept cool.
go to Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for other holtfreter versions.

are the salmon pellets hard?,
his/her legs aren't swollen so it's not fluid build up.
is he/she floating at all?
make sure that the water is changed every 24hrs, always dechlorinate the water before hand, scrub the tub clean every time the water is changed.
add 2g per litre marine salt (do not use salt for human consumption as any iodine is bad), 0.1g per litre epsom salts (magnesium sulphate), 0.05g per litre potassium chloride (you can use humic acid at 0.05g per litre instead but it will turn the water brown), 0.1g per litre calcium chloride, 0.2g per litre bicarbonate of soda (calcium carbonate can be used instead but it will cloud the water) if you do use calcium carbonate you don't need to add bicarbonate of soda. also get some almond/catappa leaves and put one in with him.
the ingredients make a modified holfreters solution which needs to be used every water change.
soak the pellets before feeding, never give them hard pellets as they will swell up.
make sure the water covers him/her but not enough to take its feet of the floor.
make sure there's a air-stone in the water.
any dechlorinator will do just don't use any that are stress relief as the contents can affect the axolotls gills.
make sure he/she is kept cool.
go to Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for other holtfreter versions.
He was having some floating and swimming issues before fridging and was way more swollen in the abdomen. It is hard pellets that i was feeding him. I realize now that this was not a great idea to just drop then in without letting them soak.

For this recipe your talking about.. it helps them pass the blockage? And thank you for your advice. Fingers crossed this does the trick.

He was having some floating and swimming issues before fridging and was way more swollen in the abdomen. It is hard pellets that i was feeding him. I realize now that this was not a great idea to just drop then in without letting them soak.

For this recipe your talking about.. it helps them pass the blockage? And thank you for your advice. Fingers crossed this does the trick.
it should help him/her pass the blockage but will also make the water more suited for axolotls and therefore less stressful.

Ideally you need to take him to an exotics vet. I would email them the photos and information first so they have a chance to research treatment.
Follow Wolfens advice as this may help with the fluid retention in the meantime. I suspect the initial cause was the raised temperature.
Have a read of the link below as it may help you further.

He seemed less swollen and doing ok.. no appetite so I thought reintroduction and moving him back would help. I have a feeling he may be passing away! I found him floating upside down and his calcoa glands are all swollen. He's having trouble staying up right. I placed him back in the fridge.. but I think it may be too late.

He seemed less swollen and doing ok.. no appetite so I thought reintroduction and moving him back would help. I have a feeling he may be passing away! I found him floating upside down and his calcoa glands are all swollen. He's having trouble staying up right. I placed him back in the fridge.. but I think it may be too late.
If he's bloated, it's possible he may also have organ failure too. Realistically, your best bet is an exotic vet but even they may just suggest euthanasia at this point. I agree and don't think he has much long to live. I am sorry for your loss.😭

only use enough water to cover him keeping feet on the base. did you add the salt etc to the water?

only use enough water to cover him keeping feet on the base. did you add the salt etc to the water?
Yes I did. I did all of what was suggested. He passed yesterday shortly after putting him back in the fridge. I'm heartbroken I wasn't able to help him. He was my favorite. I wish we had more accessible exotic vets in our area.

Yes I did. I did all of what was suggested. He passed yesterday shortly after putting him back in the fridge. I'm heartbroken I wasn't able to help him. He was my favorite. I wish we had more accessible exotic vets in our area.
I'm sorry for your loss. There's no way to know for certain but it looks a lot like organ failure. Unfortunately, organ failure isn't treatable and euthanasia is what is recommended. Organ failure can be caused by genetics, diet, or a mixture of the two.

sorry for your loss

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back