Help! Sick axolotl

smdykhouse

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 2 year old axolotl has had issues with gill fungus in the past and i thought i got rid of it but it seems to be coming back. I also noticed that his toes are turning red, almost like they’re bleeding. The parameters are good in the water with 0 ammonia and the temp is at 68F(coldest i can get it in warmer months without a chiller) He has been refusing to eat for a few days and i’m really worried about him. Please help!!

Attachments

• ACBCDFF2-B0DC-4C2C-A155-8357DAA2195C.jpeg
    ACBCDFF2-B0DC-4C2C-A155-8357DAA2195C.jpeg
    891.3 KB · Views: 911
  • DE8D750C-4102-4FFD-BDFC-0E2A3C0D3053.jpeg
    DE8D750C-4102-4FFD-BDFC-0E2A3C0D3053.jpeg
    650.7 KB · Views: 47
make sure to go through the sand prior to a water change to release any debris and built up gasses.
by the looks of his toes and that he is of his food he may have been digging at the sand.
as for fungal issues keep a constant level of 2g/l non iodised salt in the tank for prevention.
20°c (68°f) is a bit high and can be stressful, if possible should be reduced, 15°c - 18°c (59°f - 64°f) is the ideal temperature with colder (15°c/59°f) being better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back