HELP!! Water change on axolotl

Demonrapid

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
Hi! It is my first post here. I have Dexter, my Axolotl. He is 1 years old. There were some small parasites on his tank so I decided to do a major water change. I also changed the filters’ pad for it to be all clean.

The water is off, it is not clear, and there are a lot of bubbles coming from the bottom sand, there are also bubbles in the surface. Dexter is fine, but he is flicking his gills a little bit. He ate his food normally and has been there 3+ hours. Should I change the water again? 🥺 please help!!

Attachments

• 05967B80-041B-47B0-B0E3-43110F61B010.jpeg
    05967B80-041B-47B0-B0E3-43110F61B010.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 912
  • EE0E2656-E81D-4C07-886D-45511A22E8B8.gif
    EE0E2656-E81D-4C07-886D-45511A22E8B8.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
Hi! It is my first post here. I have Dexter, my Axolotl. He is 1 years old. There were some small parasites on his tank so I decided to do a major water change. I also changed the filters’ pad for it to be all clean.

The water is off, it is not clear, and there are a lot of bubbles coming from the bottom sand, there are also bubbles in the surface. Dexter is fine, but he is flicking his gills a little bit. He ate his food normally and has been there 3+ hours. Should I change the water again? 🥺 please help!!
what parasites? you may have just been seeing microorganisms.
did you change ALL of the filter media? if so, you crashed your cycle. we will need you to test your water parameters and post what they read.
if you poured a large amount of water in, the bubbles you're seeing from the sand are likely just air bubbles that got trapped underneath the sand when it was poured in. the cloudiness is also normal for a large water change.
if you did replace the filter media entirely, you need to tub your axolotl immediately.

what parasites? you may have just been seeing microorganisms.
did you change ALL of the filter media? if so, you crashed your cycle. we will need you to test your water parameters and post what they read.
if you poured a large amount of water in, the bubbles you're seeing from the sand are likely just air bubbles that got trapped underneath the sand when it was poured in. the cloudiness is also normal for a large water change.
if you did replace the filter media entirely, you need to tub your axolotl immediately.
By filter media do you mean the pad? If so, yes I replaced it, but the filter is still the same. Thank you for helping me🥺 should I tub him with the same water? 🥺

By filter media do you mean the pad? If so, yes I replaced it, but the filter is still the same. Thank you for helping me🥺 should I tub him with the same water? 🥺
yes. is your tank cycled?
he needs to be tubbed in clean and dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the tank water.
in the video he looks to be in good health, but that can change quickly if he is kept in an uncycled tank.

Anytime there is water parameters suspected as a problem you HAVE TO TUB YOUR AXOLOTL! NEVER LEAVE YOUR ANIMAL IN A TANK IF YOU EVEN *THINK* WATER PARAMETERS ARE AN ISSUE!

All caps for emphasis.

if the bubbles in the sand are before a water change then it can be gas produced by bacteria breaking waste down (always go through sand before a water change to release gas and debris), after water change can be caused by air being trapped as Axolotl Nerd has said.
it isn't unusual for an aquarium to have numerous microorganisms in it and the majority are harmless.
what pads were replaced, you can crash the cycle (or at least damage it) by removing media that is host to the bacteria colony.
you are going to have to make sure the cycle hasn't crashed due to a large water change and a filtration media change.

yes. is your tank cycled?
he needs to be tubbed in clean and dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the tank water.
in the video he looks to be in good health, but that can change quickly if he is kept in an uncycled tank.
Yes it is cycled 🥺

if the bubbles in the sand are before a water change then it can be gas produced by bacteria breaking waste down (always go through sand before a water change to release gas and debris), after water change can be caused by air being trapped as Axolotl Nerd has said.
it isn't unusual for an aquarium to have numerous microorganisms in it and the majority are harmless.
what pads were replaced, you can crash the cycle (or at least damage it) by removing media that is host to the bacteria colony.
you are going to have to make sure the cycle hasn't crashed due to a large water change and a filtration media change.
Thank you for your help!!

UPDATE: I moved dexter to a tub ❤️ he thanks you all! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back