Hey! (TN)

Livvygray

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, my name is Liv. I'm new to any axolotl care/salamander care, so expect nothing more of me than completely confused. I recently was given an unmorphed tiger salamander larvae, he's about 6 inches or so. He's fed bloodworms and nightcrawlers. I've been keeping him in a 16 Qt tub for these past few days to make sure his water is clean and his parameters are decent. He does not have a filter, but i do 10-25% water changes everyday. His water temps were a little high yesterday, but i just filled a ziplock with some ice and it came back down. I know that his gills will start to get smaller, which means i need to eventually give him some land to help the morphing process. If there's anything i should know about care, please feel free to message me or comment on this thread. I'm new to care, but am 100% willing to learn from others.

Hi and welcome to the forum! make sure your land area is sloping very gradually, they are very susceptible to drowning during the morphing stage.

I just posted this for another user, maybe you will find it helpful.
Waterdogs are larval tiger salamanders. They will morph into terrestrial salamanders after a while. There are many resources her to help you. Just do a search on that or there are stickies about someone's "axolotl" morphing into a tiger.

tiger

tiger

morphing

morphing

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back