Infected leg. Any advise

Richzl

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi all. I came back from holiday to find the my axi has a very infected leg. The leg looks broken and starting to rot. Does anyone have any advice on what to do. He current lives with too other axi's Thank you
I will post up a picture

369a43a0af97d64a4f7af95cc669a9fb.jpg

I would amputate it and then put the axolotl in the fridge. They say axolotls can regrow appendages but that one looks beyond repair, if the infection hits the bloodstream there's probably nothing you can do for it

I would amputate it and then put the axolotl in the fridge. They say axolotls can regrow appendages but that one looks beyond repair, if the infection hits the bloodstream there's probably nothing you can do for it

Please do NOT do this. Please get the animal to a vet, where he can be properly assessed, antibiotics administered if appropriate and if surgery is elected it can be done as humanely as possible, giving him the best chance.

Amputating the leg without appropriate anaesthetic and analgesics could cause unnecessary suffering and should not be considered if proper veterinary care is available.

Thank I'll do this. Take him to the vet that is

Please do NOT do this. Please get the animal to a vet, where he can be properly assessed, antibiotics administered if appropriate and if surgery is elected it can be done as humanely as possible, giving him the best chance.

Amputating the leg without appropriate anaesthetic and analgesics could cause unnecessary suffering and should not be considered if proper veterinary care is available.

Wow you actually gave me bad rep for REAL advice. That is the saddest thing I have ever seen. There are many people who don't have access or money for a vet, and would want to take it upon themselves. It has been documented EXTENSIVELY on the forum, and there are MANY humane ways to do it. Obviously if OP has money and access to a good vet, he should go there and get it done since the operation is not for the faint of heart. Am I supposed to assume that every single person who posts is a complete idiot with the IQ of a rock? Should I remind him to breathe and how to drive on the way to the vet?

I'm sorry you got your panties in a knot because I didn't give advice that goes with your agenda. There is nothing wrong with what I said, and I bet that when OP went to the vet, they amputated the leg exactly as I said he should

Deal with it.

There are many people who don't have access or money for a vet

Part of responsible pet ownership is being able to access a vet when needed. If you can't afford a vet when an animal is sick you shouldn't own the animal in the first place.

and would want to take it upon themselves .

OK, I feel doing some DIY dentistry, do you feel like volunteering? I've never done it before, I'm not qualified, but I read something on a forum so I must be OK to give it a go, right? I don't have exactly the right equipment, or drugs, but I have a pair of pliers, a drill and some peroxide, surely that will do? I would LOVE to take it upon myself and drill some teeth for you.

I'm sorry you got your panties in a knot because I didn't give advice that goes with your agenda. There is nothing wrong with what I said, and I bet that when OP went to the vet, they amputated the leg exactly as I said he should

The advice given by Herpvet (hey, the clue is in the name) was from a QUALIFIED VET, not just some random person on the internet.

I believe that in most civilised countries it it illegal to perform surgery without an appropriate license - it's certainly the case in the UK, EU and the USA - on people or animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back