Question: Is My Axolotl A Copper Male?

kaypluslee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am mostly confident that I do have a male, copper axolotl, but I am just looking for confirmation from the community!
The breeder sold him as a regular copper, so I am inclined to believe that is true.
I adopted him when he was only a few inches long and a few months old, so he has matured under my care and I wanted to make sure I have his sex correct. Quinoa is almost a foot (over 11 inches) long and roughly 1.5 years old.
I included an angle from above and from the side.

Attachments

• 0089D05E-42F6-442B-8026-6A04FFA19EC0.mov
    13.9 MB
  • IMG_7861.mov
    31.9 MB
  • IMG_7123.jpeg
    IMG_7123.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 510
Cute! I would say he is indeed a copper :). I also think he is male as he has a large bulge behind his legs 😊

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back