Question: Is my Axolotl healthy looking?

jennamorrison

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,
I am a new owner of my axolotl named Kreature, I got him from a pet store and I don't know if his gills were bitten off or if it happened from stress but his gills on one side are shorter then the other. I also have been having troubles with keeping the ammonia levels at 0, I have an over the back filter with different insert for ammonia control. I just want to make sure that my Kreature is healthy, I love him and I don't want him getting sick! Thank you for you help! Jenna

Attachments

• IMG_6916.jpg
    IMG_6916.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 953
  • IMG_6897.jpg
    IMG_6897.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_6918.jpg
    IMG_6918.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 746
Hi everyone,
I am a new owner of my axolotl named Kreature, I got him from a pet store and I don't know if his gills were bitten off or if it happened from stress but his gills on one side are shorter then the other. I also have been having troubles with keeping the ammonia levels at 0, I have an over the back filter with different insert for ammonia control. I just want to make sure that my Kreature is healthy, I love him and I don't want him getting sick! Thank you for you help! Jenna

it is pretty thin, you really need to get it fattened up, his head if bigger than the body, you want the body the same width as the head or bigger

Okay Ill give him some more food! Thank you for your help

That's a gorgeous axie you have there. Its gills may well have been nibbled a bit, but if so, they will grow back. I would recommend live earthworms as the best food for axies. They are very nutritious and they do not foul the water in the way bloodworms do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back