Make Axolotl happier

Lancelotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there ! I have a few questions about my axolotls and their well-being ! If it's allowed I'd like to have them all in one topic only ! I have 2 axolotl in a 160L tank, I clean the tank whenever there is something in there, I change 10% of the water every 2 days

-I use to have little rocks at the bottom of my tank but I had to take them out since they were eating it ! What can I put ? I heard sand is good but is it easy to clean up the tank if there is sand ? I have some big rocks that I washed but they aren't enough to cover the whole tank.

-I feel like my axolotls aren't very happy, I have a good filter, oxygen, plants, places to hide and I put towels the tank to create a dark side and a light side. Is there is anything I can do for them to be really happy ?

-Also what could I give them to eat appart from the pellets ? I have been told to give them little fish but they ended up eating the gills of one of them and he died after 1 month :( I also have been told that criquets and some worms have a shell that's too hard for them. I want t give them live food instead of frozen one !

-Finally how often should I feed them ? I have been told 1 pellet (cut in half) every 3-4 days but recently they seem to be loosing weight.. Should I give them food every 2-3 days until they grow bigger again ?

Sorry for all the questions ! Looking forward to your answers !

Hey! I can help with a few questions :)

Either sand or bare bottom is best. I use bare bottom as it is much easier to clean. Avoid rocks because even with the ones that are too big for them to eat can trap food and poop, making it harder to clean. I bought a piece of slate to decorate and offset the filter outflow. I used this site for info on rocks: https://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml

For enrichment it depends on the personality. Some axies are happy doing nothing, other like to swim, cling to plants or play around bubbles. But it sounds like you have everything you need, I can't think of what else. Maybe some moss balls? I haven't used them yet but I've read that some axies like playing with them.

If you want to feed live, earthworms are your best bet. I use earthworms as well as pellets, frozen axolotl meal, frozen bloodworms and blackworms. You can get earthworms from pet stores, bait shops or even bunnings (if you want to start a worm farm).

How big are your axolotls? I feed mine every day, but he was skinny when I got him so I am fattening him up. If they aren't hungry they will stop eating. If yours are looking skinny try feeding them every day or every second day until they are full. Smaller ones will need feeding more often I believe.

Hope some of this helps, others with more experience can give you more info :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back