New Axolotl (and tank-creature) owner!

coconat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

My name is Natalie and I am proud to say that today I became a first-time Axolotl owner :)

I have been captivated by these gorgeous little creatures for a long time now, but I always thought owning one would be a lot of hassle and I was worried I would not know how to look after it. I saw one last weekend whilst visiting Edinburgh zoo and I just had to know more! I went into my local aquatics shop to ask for more information and......acidentally came out with an Axolotl set-up :lol:

I did a lot of pre-reading and research and I am hoping you lovely fellow axie owners can validate I am (hopefully) doing all the right things! I opted for a 60L tank (I may get another in the future at which point I will upgrade), with a fine sand bottom. The filter that came with the tank is a bit big but it does the job- also comes with a water bar so I've been able to divert the spray to the surface without a lot of movement! Note-he has a nice big hollow rock to hide in now (just not in the picture)

I've spent a few days filtering the tank after treating with tetra aquasafe to remove chlorine etc. did a quick 25% change today (re-treating the new water), and tested it with a 6 in 1 kit and everything came back perfect. I had some concerns over the temperature as my room is fairly cool, no direct sunlight or heating on in the house and water feels chilled but the digital thermo is showing 22 degrees-going to keep an eye on it but this was after swapping it from a glass one which was showing 25 (and there was just no way it is that warm!).

After plopping my new little one in his (until I know better!) home he wolfed down a bit of chopped up earthworm and has spent the last few hours walking over the bottom (so glad I put sand in now :happy:). I caught him coughing up some sand earlier and he hasn't done it since so I'm hoping it was just something he was curious about and has learned from, he seems rather content otherwise so without further delay...meet Tequila!

17798913_10155144536824491_1685373594465945155_n.jpg

20170407_170945.jpg

20170407_170416.jpg

20170407_170941.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back